News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cooper  (Read 7884 times)

dakcarm

Cooper
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »
Michael Mears has been funded to do a new play. Haven't all the details on it yet. I know he has been very busy with the project and not able to email me at this time. Will give him a call and see what is going on.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: Cooper
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:25:18 PM »
Michael is such a sweet guy.  He really jumped right in when contacted about contributing to the Sharpe Chefs Cookbook.  Hopefully we will have some new pics of him, Lyndon Davies, Paul Trussell and Jason Salkey after the Jan 19th booksigning at Waterstones in Picadilly.

Leggy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 05:43:26 PM »
Michael was in "The Colour of Magic" over this Easter, on Sky.
He did tell me it will be out on DVD for those of us who don't have Sky.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »
Í will certainly be on the lookout for that DVD.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
Michael Mear's IMDB Page

His appearances as Rifleman Cooper include:  Sharpe's Rifles, Eagle, Company, Enemy, Honour, Gold and The Legend - which he narrated.

He was also in the acclaimed Four Weddings and a Funeral. 

His Profile at the National Theatre

The Sharpe Appreciation Society has an excellent BIO on him, part of which I reproduce below:

Michael was born in North London in 1957, grew up there and trained as an actor at the DRAMA CENTRE, LONDON.

He has worked in many theatres in Britain, recently finishing a two-year spell as a member of the ROYAL SHAKESPEARE COMPANY, taking part in Steven Pimlott’s production of HAMLET, and JUBILEE by Peter Barnes, in which he played Thomas Arne. Last year he played the title role in Moliere’s THE HYPOCHONDRIAC at Bolton Octagon in a new version by Ranjit Bolt and all the Alec Guiness parts in a stage version of the classic Ealing Comedy film KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS at Hornchurch Queen’s Theatre.

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
Apart from the Sharpe's that he's in, he's really good narrating The Legend. In the books, what happens to his character cos he just disappears in the TV series...??

tinytim

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »
I take to Michael and to Cooper! :-))
Did anyone noticed, that he's also a quite good singing voice? I can't remember as scene in Rifles and another in a later Sharpe, where he sings together with John. Of course it's a matter of taste, but I liked it and I was very surprised.

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »
As I hate starting up a new thread when there's a perfectly good one already in existence....

I went to the theatre last night  - Bath Theatre Royal and the English Touring Theatre's production of 'A Herbal Bed'.  (An interesting tale of Shakespeare's daughter Susannah and the religious and moral politics of the time).

Michael Mears was excellent as the inquisitorial priest, hell bent on extracting the truth about Susannah's alleged affair.  Well worth seeing if it comes to a theatre near you.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 01:16:42 PM »
Did anyone noticed, that he's also a quite good singing voice? I can't remember as scene in Rifles and another in a later Sharpe, where he sings together with John. Of course it's a matter of taste, but I liked it and I was very surprised.

Cooper sings in Sharpe's Rifles, you can hear him sing part of Oranges and lemons,wich song also features in The Frankenstein Chronicles.

Oranges and lemons,
 Say the bells of St. Clement's.

You owe me five farthings,
 Say the bells of St. Martin's.

When will you pay me?
 Say the bells of Old Bailey.

When I grow rich,
 Say the bells of Shoreditch.

When will that be?
 Say the bells of Stepney.

I do not know,
 Says the great bell of Bow.

Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
 And here comes a chopper to chop off your head 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranges_and_Lemons

Oranges and Lemons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1dttyp8LI

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »
Oranges and lemons,which song also features in The Frankenstein Chronicles.
Oooh, good catch, Patch!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 05:54:52 AM »
Oranges and lemons,which song also features in The Frankenstein Chronicles.
Oooh, good catch, Patch!

I forgot to mention that part of the song can also be heard in the Christmas party scene in Lady Chatterley.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 07:00:51 AM »
World War I conscientious objectors come to life in British actor's play March 13 at Akron church
British actor Michael Mears gives voice to more than 50 different characters in "This Evil Thing," his one-man play about conscientious objectors in World War I Britain.

http://lancasteronline.com/features/together/world-war-i-conscientious-objectors-come-to-life-in-british/article_0337c79e-1e0c-11e8-9611-dbf2982c5341.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 12:01:45 AM »
Fancy seeing Rifleman Cooper in the flesh performing his excellent work THE MISTAKE. See below for details. https://www.arcolatheatre.com/whats-on/the-mistake/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sharpesrifles/posts/10160638564424176/