News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Martian  (Read 44069 times)

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
Re: The Martian
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
That doesn't surprise me that techies would like this book, most of them love endless technical details. So
they would be in hog heaven, and the rest of us would be bored to tears. I liked Robinson Crusoe. I read the
book more than once. However, Crusoe was on a beautiful island he could hunt and fish. He had pets and
a person to talk to. He also had lots of books and hostile people to fight with. So it's a more interesting story.
However, the movie does have Sean, so I'm looking forward to watching it !!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
Looks like IMDB made another mistake. If you look at the cast list for the Martian Sean is playing a person
named Mitch Henderson. The problem is that they have Sean and another actor posted as Mitch Henderson.
So who is cast as Mitch Henderson ?????

:slyfox

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 02:54:06 AM »
Looks like IMDB made another mistake. If you look at the cast list for the Martian Sean is playing a person
named Mitch Henderson. The problem is that they have Sean and another actor posted as Mitch Henderson.
So who is cast as Mitch Henderson ?????

Now Sean is the only one listed as Mitch Henderson,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
Thanks Patch !! Now we know the name of Sean's character. Maybe I'll listen to the book again and just fast
forward it to Mitch's parts. :thumbsup:

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
So guess what !!! Now that we know that Sean's character is MITCH I decided  to try (again) to listen to the book and just fast forward the story to all of Sean's scenes. So I went to the link on youtube only to find
out that it's been BLOCKED !!! :frustrate: :frustrate: :frustrate: :frustrate:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 12:44:12 AM »
So guess what !!! Now that we know that Sean's character is MITCH I decided  to try (again) to listen to the book and just fast forward the story to all of Sean's scenes. So I went to the link on youtube only to find
out that it's been BLOCKED !!! :frustrate: :frustrate: :frustrate: :frustrate:

Lasue .I hope you get to Sean's scenes with these links,they all work for the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TiyohYgako

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KFrbcDGUlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY989Q6SLu4

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
Thanks Patch. I listened to the audiobook again. It's still pretty BORING and I fast forward the story to find
Sean's part, but there's not much about MITCH on this tape. I think it's too condensed, and they cut most
of his parts out of the tape, because of time constraints. However, I did hear that MITCH threw up his hands
in frustrating, but that's all.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:37:43 PM by lasue »

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »
So his part will be very small?

It is unfortunate. I would love to see him lead a big budget movie on the big screen one day. He is terribly underused in Hollywood.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
I don't know. I was listening to the audiobook which is a condensed version of the original book. So MITCH
could have a much bigger part in the book or the movie. Your right when you say Sean's underused in
a lot of the projects he's in, but MITCH could have a larger role in the movie. We will just have to wait and
see.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
OK, if Sean was in Budapest for about 3 weeks than his part as MITCH can't be that small. Also this movie
like LEGENDS could be very different from the book.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »
Ridley Scott sends his 'Martian' script into space

NASA’s Orion spacecraft was designed to shuttle astronauts to Mars some day. When it made its first successful test flight on Dec. 5 from Florida’s Cape Canaveral, the 11-foot-long capsule didn’t blast anyone to the red planet, but it did keep with the theme, completing two orbits of Earth while carrying the front page of the script for The Martian (above).

Directed by Ridley Scott with a screenplay by Drew Goddard, the film is based on the novel by Andy Weir that tells the story of an astronaut (Matt Damon) stranded on Mars. It was the production’s NASA liaison who came up with the idea of sending a piece of The Martian into space. “NASA has been really involved and incredibly generous in the process of making this movie,” says producer Simon Kinberg, who attended the launch. (Also on board were memorabilia from Star Trek and Sesame Street.) As for the doodles and commentary on the title page, those are the handiwork of Scott (who’s currently shooting the movie in Hungary). “When Ridley reads his scripts he sketches on them,” says Kinberg. “He’s very much an artist.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/19/ridley-scott-martian-script-into-space/#

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:08 AM »
Ridley Scott? He's out of this world, says Jessica

Jessica Chastain has a lot of praise for film-maker Ridley Scott, in particular for his efforts in creating choice roles for women.

‘I’ve always been a fan of Ridley’s,’ the Oscar-nominated star told me recently in Los Angeles

Her part’s completed, but Damon, Sean Bean and other cast members are still shooting on a sound-stage in Budapest and on location in Jordan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2971190/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Ridley-Scott-s-world-says-Jessica.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
Sorry, Interstellar, We Just Saw Some Of The Martian And It's Way Better

Holy hell, the adaptation of Andy Weir’s The Martian looks good. True, this movie is also about Matt Damon trying to survive alone on distant planet, but unlike Interstellar, no one is crying the whole goddamn time. Seriously, it looks amazing
The Martian was absolutely the standout film from Fox’s CinemaCon 2015 presentation (a gathering of cinema owners and film industry professionals). This is the gritty, space survivalist film we have been waiting for.

The star power in this cast is immense — monstrous, even. The Ares 3 crew (the group that accidentally leaves Damon behind) is commanded by Melissa Lewis (Jessica Chastain) and includes Kate Mara, Sebastian Stan, Michael Peña, and a few others I didn’t catch. Back on Earth is Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kristen Wiig, Donald Glover (who plays an astrodynamicist), Sean Bean (the Ares 3 flight director), and Jeff Daniels, who is the NASA Administrator, and possibly the bad guy of this story (but it’s not black and white, which is a great thing).

This is the strap-your-moon-boots-on scifi feature we’ve all been waiting for, and the whole thing screams “Fuck Yeah, Science.” Can’t wait. 
http://io9.com/sorry-interstellar-we-just-saw-some-of-the-martian-an-1699793860

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
Thanks Patch !!! I hope this will be a GREAT ROLE for SEAN !!! Even though it's a small part he is the KING of
the CAMEO !!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 03:07:10 AM »
Matt Damon's Struggle To Stay Alive In The Martian's CinemaCon Footage Is Riveting

Kicking off the final day of CinemaCon – the annual Las Vegas-based expo for theater owners – 20th Century Fox held their big studio presentation this morning in The Colosseum at Caesar’s Palace, and a debut sizzle reel from Ridley Scott’s next film was screened as a special treat at the end of the event. It was introduced by a video from Matt Damon, and while we got to see maybe only three minutes of actual clips from the movie, the feature looks like it could wind up being one of 2015’s finest.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Matt-Damon-Struggle-Stay-Alive-Martian-Cinema-Con-Footage-Riveting-71056.html

Cinemacon: Matt Damon Sciences The Shit Out Of THE MARTIAN Footage

Everything can still go wrong - it is a Ridley Scott movie, after all - but as of today’s footage presentation The Martian looks absolutely fucking fantastic, a movie with all the science you want in a hard science fiction movie but with the real emotion you want from a dramatic movie. Basically it looks like what we wanted Interstellar to be.

Based on the novel by Andy Weir, The Martian sees Matt Damon as an astronaut who gets left for dead when his Mars mission evacuates the planet in the face of a monster storm. Trapped on the red planet in a station only intended for a 31 day habitation Damon must, as he says in the footage, ‘science the shit out of this’ situation, and figure out how to grow enough food to keep him alive for the four years it would take to mount a rescue operation. Meanwhile his earthbound crew, alerted to his survival, must decide whether to mutiny and head back for him, and figure out whether the effort will end up killing them. And on Earth everybody is transfixed by the growing drama.

The Martian could be one of the great films of 2015... if Ridley doesn’t screw it up by getting too clinical. Don’t screw it up, Ridley.
http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/23/cinemacon-matt-damon-sciences-the-shit-out-of-the-martian-footage/

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:09:46 AM by patch »

Amber

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:33 AM »

That really sounds like it is going to be good but then it's Ridley Scott, what's not to like?

Now, if Sean has impressed him so that he wants him in his little band of 'go to' actors then we could see him in some really big not to say excellent films in the future.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
Andy Weir’s The Martian directed by Ridley Scott – teaser trailer

http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/04/24/andy-weirs-martian-directed-ridley-scott-teaser-trailer/

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »
Thank you Patch.  This looks like a very interesting movie.

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 03:40:20 AM »
I'm nearly certain that this is not an official trailer.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
7 New The Martian Movie Stills and Plot Details Released!

Speaking to People, Prometheus and Alien director Ridley Scott revealed the film will focus on “Just geology, the last thing Mark’s thinking about is life on Mars. He’s thinking about how to save his life on Mars.” - So don't expect to see any Alien creatures terrorizing the crew on Mars! Leave that to Prometheus 2, which Scott will begin working on after The Martian, this fall!

Scott revealed a bit more about the film's plot for those who may not be familiar with the book by Andy Weir: “He [Mark Watney (played by Matt Damon)] finds he has a problem, and instead of him collapsing into terror—because he’s got 28 days to live – and that’s if everything goes well for him – he knuckles down and actually starts to work it out,”

http://www.scified.com/site/themartian/7-new-the-martian-movie-stills-and-plot-details-released