News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jupiter Ascending reviews  (Read 4707 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Jupiter Ascending reviews
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:14:11 PM »
The Dude Reviews: Jupiter Ascending

For each positive in this film, Sean Bean as (Stinger) or the subplot on how humanity came to be on Earth, there’s an equal amount if not more in terms of negatives. The Wachowskis present the movie much like Snow White in the Huntmans meets John Carter of Mars, in a completely artificial, computer-generated universe, with an ambitious story, unfortunately for me it went over my head because my reflexes weren’t fast enough I guess…. Cheers. 
https://thedudesmoviereview.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/the-dude-reviews-jupiter-ascending/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: Jupiter Ascending reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:43:14 AM »
‘Jupiter Ascending’ Debuts to Muted Crowd at Sundance

The Sundance Film Festival isn’t a typical launchpad for studio blockbusters, but Warner Bros. surprised theater-goers on Tuesday night by unveiling the Wachowski sibling’s “Jupiter Ascending” at a “surprise screening.”

The invitation-only event, which was not billed as a premiere, was the first time “Jupiter Ascending” was shown to the public. Variety broke news of the screening on Tuesday afternoon, but there were other clues the audience wasn’t about to see a typical Sundance indie.

When attendees with tickets arrived at the Egyptian Theater in Park City, they were handed 3D glasses.

Despite the hype of a secret screening, clusters of seats inside the 300-person venue remained empty, and a handful of patrons walked out of the two-hour-plus space epic starring Milas Kunis as a princess and Channing Tatum as an intergalactic soldier tasked with rescuing her.

The Wachowski’s flair was fully on display, with sequences reminiscent of “The Matrix” or “Star Wars.” But when the film ended, the usually gracious Sundance audience didn’t clap at the closing credits.

“I hated it,” said one of the festival’s volunteers, who asked not to be identified for fear of irking Sundance. “It’s just ridiculous.”

Her husband was more forgiving. “It’s a combination of a whole bunch of things wrapped into one,” he said.

Neville Kiser, a screenwriter, thought the movie was hurt by the fact that it was debuting at a venue for highbrow films. “I actually liked it,” Kiser said. “But the Sundance context is weird. There were so
 many people in the audience scoffing and sneering. They are forgetting they are watching a movie targeted primarily to teenage boys. I’m sure those 15-year-old boys, and hopefully girls, will like it too.”

The film’s co-directors and stars were not in attendance. One industry expert speculated that the discombobulated story would mean that Warner Bros., which spent $175 million on the film, would lose a significant chunk of money.

“Jupiter Ascending” was originally scheduled for a summer release, which was later postponed. The movie now opens on Feb. 6.

Critics were not invited to the screening, and a festival programmer reminded critics who may have snagged a ticket that their reviews were embargoed until Monday night.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/jupiter-ascending-debuts-to-muted-crowd-at-sundance-1201417130/

Jupiter Ascending Premiered And It Did Not Go Well, At All

It was revealed yesterday that the surprise screening at this year’s Sundance was the Wachowski’s highly anticipated sci-fi film Jupiter Ascending — which is kind of odd, because you don’t normally think of a film requiring 3D glasses as the secret screening of Sundance. Nevertheless, this was the first time anyone has seen this film. Unfortunately, the reception was not what Warner Bros. was hoping for (i.e. it was really bad).

As reported by Yahoo Movies, the event was invite-only and took place at the Egyptian Theater in Park City. Despite all the hype and secrecy, though, there were clusters of vacant seats in this 300-person theater. Worse still, a "handful" of people left before the movie was even done, and by the time Jupiter Ascending finished, people were heard sneering. Someone in attendance, who wanted to remain nameless for obvious reasons, called it "ridiculous," while another said it was "a combination of a whole bunch of things wrapped into one." Another even went as far as to speculate that Warner Bros. would lose a ton of money over the film. It’s probably a good thing critics weren’t invited.

Considering Jupiter Ascending will likely either repair or further damage the Wachowski siblings’ relationship with the studio, this is not the best of news. The Matrix films were the only works of theirs to make bank at the box office for Warner Bros. Their follow-ups, Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas, didn’t do so hot. To add even more pressure, the studio reportedly spent upwards of $170 million on Jupiter Ascending, which was originally supposed to be released in the summer of 2014. However, due to post-production issues, it’s now opening on February 6.

Needless to say, everyone involved has a lot riding on Jupiter Ascending. However, screenwriter Neville Kiser, who attended the secret Sundance screening, put the bad reception in perspective.
I actually liked it. But the Sundance context is weird. There were so many people in the audience scoffing and sneering. They are forgetting they are watching a movie targeted primarily to teenage boys. I’m sure those 15-year-old boys, and hopefully girls, will like it."

As Yahoo mentioned, one programmer was able to snag a ticket to the screening and was told that reviews of the film are embargoed until Monday. Press screenings for the film should also be announced in the near future — at least, we’d hope so, since Jupiter Ascending hits theaters a week from Friday! — so we’ll have a better sense of what to expect in no time. If you’re like us, all this negative reception only makes us want to see the movie even more to see if it’s true. Well, that and the fact that Channing Tatum plays a half-wolf warrior and Oscar-nominated actor Eddie Redmayne plays an intergalactic prince with a wardrobe full of swanky robes. Oh, yeah, and there’s Sean Bean, who, if history has anything to say about it, will probably die at some point. 
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jupiter-Ascending-Premiered-It-Did-Go-All-69437.html

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:26:26 PM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »
A better version of Jupiter Ascending exists partially on the cutting room floor. This one is best described as unfortunate.

At this point in their careers, Andy and Lana Wachowski have become better known for their visual flash and style, and it serves the movie well. Their flair is apparent from the costume and makeup work (the idea of DNA splicing works magic in this department) to the production design, and it all serves to provide Jupiter Ascending with a unique feel (even when it wears references to movies like Brazil on its sleeve). Immense credit also goes to the visual effects teams, who not only render some fantastic air battles and spaceships, but also expansive alien environments that do their part to make the audience feel like they’re being taken to a different world. All of this spectacle doesn’t make up for the fact that character motivations are at times completely dubious, and that the third act drags on far too long, but it does help.

It’s hard to really begrudge a film like Jupiter Ascending, both for its creative scope and in that it is one of the few-and-far-between female-led action movies, but it is equally hard to validate it beyond those elements, it’s aesthetics, and the casting of the leads. There is perhaps a better feature that exists partially on the cutting room floor – explaining some of the more bizarre plot developments/holes – or one that could have been made with just a few tweaks to the screenplay. But the movie that will be hitting theaters this week is best described as unfortunate
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Jupiter-Ascending-66468.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:33:14 AM »
Jupiter Ascending (2015) : Master review thread
Since this board is littered with single posts for reviews, I decided to help out by gathering all of the 'official' reviews I could find into one place. If you find any other reviews reply with them and I'll add them in!   
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617661/board/thread/239840712

Jupiter Ascending - Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jupiter_ascending_2014/

Jupiter Ascending: 'roaringly naff'

Andy and Lana Wachowski's bee-themed space opera is confused and lifeless

Jupiter Ascending, the latest film from Andy and Lana Wachowski, is a roaringly naff exercise in operatic space fantasy – yet its naffness has a kind of heroic folie de grandeur, as if every room in the Louvre had been re-hung with paintings of dogs playing snooker and unicorns grazing by moonlight.

Mila Kunis plays Jupiter Jones, a Russian émigré who cleans rich people’s bathrooms in Chicago and discovers, via various aliens, that she is the reincarnated head of an intergalactic dynasty called the House of Abrasax, with the power to turn back time and make friends with bees, and who currently holds the fate of the Earth in her rubber-gloved mitt.

“It’s not what you do, it’s who you are,” she’s told by Sean Bean’s undercover space trooper – which lets us know that heroism here is a hereditary thing, and places the story firmly in the fantasy genre, like Harry Potter or the Wachowskis' own Matrix trilogy, rather than the more disruptive realm of science fiction proper. Then again, shortly afterwards, Bean’s character also solemnly tells her that “bees don’t lie”, so perhaps we shouldn’t read too much into it.

"The whole bees thing", as we might as well call it, is an odd but fun echo of the film’s premise, which is itself a diluted reworking of the Matrix films. Earth’s place in the bigger galactic picture isn’t quite what we think it is, and humans are being farmed for some nefarious purpose.

One sequence hints at what we’re missing. When Jupiter leaves Earth to lay claim to the bloodline of Abrasax, she and Caine spend what could be days in a Kafka-esque bureaucracy, taking forms from one arcane-looking booth to the next. There are overtones of Terry Gilliam’s Brazil, underlined by a Gilliam cameo as a wizened form-filler, and for once the film’s air tastes breathable. But elsewhere, the film bears the scars of studio nervousness: awkwardly truncated scenes, garbled plot transitions, and a heroine who spends far too long playing the damsel in distress. Cinema-goers desperately need a fresh, unusual and franchise-free blockbuster to rally behind, but Jupiter Ascending isn’t it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/jupiter-ascending/review/

Review: 'Jupiter Ascending' Is A Beautiful Muddle

Thumbnail: The Wachowskis’ newest science-fiction fantasy is a visual wonder and a big-screen delight, but it suffers from overly complicated storytelling in service of thin characters and redundant action sequences.

The real losers if the film goes south this weekend are the Wachowski siblings. This is their first pure original film since The Matrix just under 16 years ago. The sequels made lots of money but left fans cold. Speed Racer is a beloved cult classic but made just $85m worldwide on a $120m budget. Cloud Atlas was a respectable attempt at high-end prestigious sci-fi, but it earned $130m worldwide on a $100m budget. If this one plays the way the pundits are predicting, then it may be awhile before Lana and Andrew Wachowski get any real money to do their uber-imaginative voodoo. And that will be a loss for all of us. So despite my mixed feelings on the film, I am hoping for a surprise this weekend
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/02/03/review-jupiter-ascending-is-a-beautiful-muddle/

Jupiter Ascending review: 'Wachowski blockbuster is a hot mess'

Andy and Lana Wachowski have frequently reached for the stars with their ambitious blockbusters, but in their latest offering Jupiter Ascending it all slips through their fingers in spectacularly disastrous fashion.

Though this isn't a science fiction folly quite as bad as Battlefield Earth or The Adventures of Pluto Nash, it's still rammed with an incomprehensible plot, off-key performances and a script that blurts out lines as ridiculous as "bees are genetically engineered to recognise royalty".

Only good-old, dependable Sean Bean comes out of it with dignity intact, managing to play things relatively straight as he's forced to reel off endless exposition (he somehow keeps it together with the "bees" line) while his castmates appear to be skirting close to a Saturday Night Live sketch. In the case of Bean's character, brilliantly named 'Stinger', at least there's the underlying tension of whether or not his character will make it out alive or go down in a blaze of glory.

Jupiter Ascending might be a bad movie, but at least it's an entertaining load of old cobblers. This is a hot mess space opera from start to finish.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/review/a625001/jupiter-ascending-review-wachowski-blockbuster-is-a-hot-mess.html#~p3cSC3oSxM5Cv6

Film Review: ‘Jupiter Ascending’

A disappointing step backwards for the Wachowskis, who lose themselves in an over-designed, underdeveloped 'Star Wars'-style land grab in space.

In “Cloud Atlas,” the Wachowskis wildly overreached while tackling the notion of reincarnation via a daring, genre-spanning nonlinear narrative that challenged the very limits of conventional storytelling. Now, with “Jupiter Ascending,” the subject arises once again, albeit in the most banal, been-there-done-that way imaginable: as a garish, “Phantom Menace”-esque space opera in which a lowly Russian cleaning lady (Mila Kunis) is born with DNA identical to that of the most powerful woman in the universe. The movie refers to this statistical improbability as a “recurrence,” which could also describe the painfully familiar feeling we get from watching the Wachowskis fail once again, this time on an unrecoverable $175 million budget, despite whatever boost Imax 3D ticket sales can add.
http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/film-review-jupiter-ascending-1201421867/

Review: The Wachowskis bring mad style to the YA genre in 'Jupiter Ascending'

"Jupiter Ascending" plays like someone hired Lana and Andy Wachowski to adapt a particularly crazy YA novel and they took the bones of the thing and ran with it. Fast, frequently teetering on the cusp of the ridiculous, and eye-poppingly pretty, "Jupiter Ascending" is a wicked slice of entertainment, and a heck of an antidote to the typical February box-office blahs.

As a story, "Jupiter Ascending" is okay. I am personally growing tired of any stories that revolve around a "chosen one," simply because of how omnipresent the archetype has been. What elevates this above the story being told is how the story is being told, and that's where I think the Wachowskis continue to excel. There is such magnificent beauty on display here that I found myself just lost in the corners and the details of the thing. It's a gorgeous movie, with this vibrant color palette and a truly aggressive visual style. Just watching Caine race around environments with those crazy gravity boots is a kick, and each new place they go in the film is realized vividly. These filmmakers have a knack for staging action that is both thrilling to watch and intensely involving, and their skills have not lessened since the end of the "Matrix" trilogy. This is the first time they've staged this kind of action since then, and it feels like they are practically giddy as each big set piece unfolds.

Even in my early conversations about the film, it's obvious that battle lines are being drawn, and I am firmly on the side of "Jupiter Ascending." I like that the Wachowskis are willing to play with heady ideas in the exact same moment that they take an almost palpable joy in just plain having fun. "Jupiter" may not pull everything together completely, but I'll take something that's shaggy and special over something that is impeccable but plastic any time. "Jupiter Ascending" is a sprawling adventure for the 14-year-old girl inside all of us, and I for one am more than happy to take this particular ride with two of the most nimble genre artists in the business.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-the-wachowskis-bring-mad-style-to-the-ya-genre-in-jupiter-ascending

Jupiter Ascending(2 stars)

Derivative sci-fi from the Wachowski siblings comes crashing down to Earth

It’s clear that Jupiter Ascending is a labour of love for its creators Andy and Lana Wachowski, who have jam-packed their ambitious intergalactic fantasy adventure full of ideas concerning genetics, reincarnation, the growing wealth divide and the mining of Earth’s natural resources. However, it plays out like a convoluted mix of The Princess Diaries meets The Fifth Element, with the siblings blending an overabundance of sci-fi premises and visuals.

Mila Kunis is Jupiter Jones, a cleaner who hates her life and dreams of something more. Out of the blue, a bunch of aliens appear to whisk her away but luckily Caine (Channing Tatum), a snarling lycanthrope with special gravity boots, saves the day and guides her in a quest to fulfil her true destiny as monarch of Earth.

This complicated yarn also features a host of other players including Eddie Redmayne as the malevolent ruler of the universe, who's wickedly intent on harvesting planets, and Sean Bean as a gruff banished alien with serious beef against Caine. Terry Gilliam cameos in an amusing scene which sees Jupiter cutting through excessive bureaucracy to become a citizen and take her rightful place as royalty. It's a commentary on the corrupt class system, the satire of which was, incidentally, dealt with in a far superior manner in Bong Joon-ho’s Snowpiercer.

The old-fashioned approach to romance doesn’t sit well, with Kunis playing a damsel-in-distress who gasps every few minutes. There are elements of Richard Donner’s Superman in both the storyline and the scenes in which Caine takes flight. If this film hopes to ascend to comparable greatness it ultimately takes a nosedive, being neither gritty nor particularly entertaining and borrowing from too many classics of the genre. Imagine the loopiest fan-fiction you can, as written by devotees of the aforementioned Gilliam, and you’ll be on the right track.
https://film.list.co.uk/article/68103-jupiter-ascending/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:30:29 AM by patch »

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:59:08 PM »
Well I was not expecting the film critics to LOVE this movie. Do they ever give a fantasy movie a good review ?
It really doesn't matter as long as JA makes money and Sean's character is AMAZING and steals the show !!
That's all I want.

:slyfox

7ty3

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:04:57 AM »
 :lalalala to the critics!

I like this quote from 'The Wrap' review -

"Ultimately, this all boils down to two questions: 1) Is “Jupiter Ascending” completely bananas? Absolutely. 2) Will you have fun watching it? As long as you’re OK with the answer to the first question, I don’t see why not."

Yep, I'm OK with that! I am SO super happy that one of Sean's movies is getting a cinema release here in Australia...it has been a while. Have to wait until Feb 19th though!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:31:54 AM »
Film review: Jupiter Ascending

Like a direct relation to The Matrix’s Neo, who similarly has his eyes opened to a much wider world, Jupiter is understandably freaked by her new-found status as an interplanetary leader. And it only gets weirder. Like the scene where Caine takes her to meet Stinger (Sean Bean), a soldier pal who has been spliced with the DNA of bees. Floating around his rural hideout, the bees recognise a queen when they see one – and are soon buzzing around Jupiter.

It’s odd moments such as these that keep you watching

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/film-reviews/film-review-jupiter-ascending

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:58:23 AM »
Jupiter Ascending Review: An Ambitious Adventure Of The Universe

In fact, the only character you'll probably really care for is Stinger (Sean Bean) because he's helping Caine and Jupiter, but also because he's the only character that's somewhat relatable and it isn't forced or exaggerated.   

Bottom line: Jupiter Ascending is an innovative and absolutely stunning visual display of sci-fi space adventures. The story is imperfect, yet appropriately complex and satisfying. 7.3/10
http://comicbook.com/2015/02/05/jupiter-ascending-review-an-ambitious-adventure-of-the-universe/

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/reviews/latest-reviews-of-movies/11050-jupiter-ascending

As for the rest of the cast, Sean Bean gives a good "Sean Bean" and Eddie Redmayne entertainingly competes for the "Michael Sheen Twilight: Breaking Dawn Sudden Onset Overacting Award" with multiple interpretations and intonations of Sheen's unpredictable giggle from that film.

The result is an enjoyable space adventure and slightly weak love story with an interesting background that takes some of the action of Guardians with some... well... a little, maybe a spoonful, of the brains of Dune, that would have most likely been lost in the wake of Marvel/Disney's blockbuster last summer but should hopefully find an audience now

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/reviews/latest-reviews-of-movies/11050-jupiter-ascending

The Wachowskis show off their visual flair in Jupiter Ascending

Jupiter Ascending won't make anyone forget Guardians of the Galaxy anytime soon, but in the season of the dumps when studios unceremoniously release the projects they have little confidence in, the Wachowskis' latest is a lion among the dogs 
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/the-wachowskis-show-off-their-visual-flair-in-jupiter-ascending/Content?oid=5074765

The Wachowskis go for broke with the goofy space opera Jupiter Ascending

It’s hard not to admire the movie’s integrity: It’s a big, effects-heavy spectacle that works exclusively on its own terms, and despite being packed with incident, in-jokes, and vampire-aristocrat intrigue, it’s a breeze—partly because the Wachowskis excel at managing and integrating effects, and partly because the screwy fantasy they’ve created is so fun to navigate. 
http://www.avclub.com/review/wachowskis-go-broke-goofy-space-opera-jupiter-asce-214745

Jupiter Ascending review

For its pure cheesy appeal, Jupiter Ascending might deserve a cautious recommendation; like Cloud Atlas, there’s something likeably batty about its more outlandish moments, such as the wonderful scene where a giant alien lizard in a leather jacket enters stage left and says to Redmayne, “Sire, something’s gone wrong at the clinic.” But it’s also important to point out that large tranches of Jupiter Ascending are also dreadfully earnest and thuddingly dull. The plot, although recalling things like Dune and even the Star Wars prequels with its dynasties and grasps for power, is predictable stuff beneath all the power plays, and you could set your watch by the various changes in fortune and last-minute rescues.

Revelling in its pulp roots, Jupiter Ascending is eye-poppingly baroque from beginning to end, but all the bling, bees and ripe dialogue in the galaxy can't quite mask its myriad shortcomings.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/jupiter-ascending/33958/jupiter-ascending-review

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:39:15 AM by patch »

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
I saw a review yesterday from an Associated Press Film Writer.  I don't think this has been posted.  It's unfortunately another negative review.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8fb8caed70094caa922849c2d6329e48/review-jupiter-ascending-soupy-cosmic-fairy-tale

Within the warped wardrobe of the Wachowskis latest sci-fi extravaganza, "Jupiter Ascending," there are some fantastical feasts of intergalactic ridiculousness. Channing Tatum as a combination elf and speed skater. Space dinosaurs in leather jackets. A robed Eddie Redmayne as the universe's overload, who so gravely whispers his lines that you fear he is, for the length of the movie, being castrated just off camera. That, at least, would explain his sporadic shrieking.

Redmayne, who may be on the cusp of an Oscar for his more earthbound performance as Stephen Hawking, is the best and worst thing in a movie that rides the campy line of simultaneously great and terrible with intermittent success. For more than a decade now, writer-directors Lana and Andy Wachowski have capitalized on their "Matrix" fame to conjure up mystical blockbusters of grandiose, garish style ("Cloud Atlas"), luring moviegoers who like bananas with their popcorn. Did I mention the space dinosaurs in leather jackets?

"Jupiter Ascending" begins with the birth of a girl, Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis), to Russian immigrants while midway across the Atlantic. Looking back from later on, she narrates that she was born an illegal alien, betwixt worlds. As the film stretches out into the cosmos, it fills its adventure with mutants and "splices" who have genes of mixed species.

Tatum's Caine Wise is one such fusion. He's an elite soldier whose (literal) wings were clipped for a mysterious past incident. Made with part wolf blood, he has pointed ears and a blond goatee, neither of which makes him particularly easy to take seriously as a hero. Oh, and he has jet-propelled boots that he skates through the sky with: an extraterrestrial Apolo Ohno.

Jupiter lives as a cleaning lady with her humble family in Chicago, a regular existence shattered when spindly aliens show up and try to kill her. Caine comes to the rescue, an unfortunately repetitive occurrence in "Jupiter Ascending," in which Kunis' character is always in need of being swooped out of danger by her hulking werewolf man. And after a lengthy chase above the Chicago skyline, she's introduced to a wider universe ruled by the Abrasax dynasty and teaming with sci-fi tropes.

The full picture of the plot of "Jupiter Ascending" takes a long time to clear up, as it flashes between different worlds, space ships fly this way and that, and various bounty hunters (Sean Bean is one) cloud the allegiances. Character and story get washed out in the relentlessly ornate 3-D imagery, a blend of grandiose space-scapes and gaudy metallic machinery.

Though why isn't quite evident, Jupiter turns out to be a galactic queen (the Wachowskis love their messiahs) fiercely sought by the ruling royalty. The Abrasax family (not to be confused with Santana's "Abraxas," even though they share something of its flamboyant album cover) are led by a trio of handsome Brits: Balem (Redmayne), Kalique (Tuppence Middleton) and Titus (Douglas Booth), who, we learn, use planets like Earth to harvest human DNA to create youth-preserving gels. Somewhere here is a capitalism critique.

Though she has more space opera swirling around her than any actor could possible hold together, Kunis does an admirable job even if never given much of a chance to be the prime mover in her fairy tale. Tatum, as game as they come, is understandably undone by his get-up; pointed ears and flying boots will do that. But no one fares as poorly as Redmayne, who quivers with such hushed ferocity that he wins the most giggles in a blatantly silly movie.

"Jupiter Ascending" unfolds as a mostly entertaining mess, a cosmic soup of baroque grandeur that the Wachowskis swim happily through, even if few others will. They seem increasingly adrift in their own sci-fi seas, a quixotic plight that would be more admirable if the waters weren't so familiar.

"Jupiter Ascending," a Warner Bros. release, is rated PG-13 for "some violence, sequences of sci-fi action, some suggestive content and partial nudity." Running time: 127 minutes. Two stars out of four.

___
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:42:56 PM by moonflower »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/02/jupiter-ascending-review-its-no-battlefield-earth-but/

With plot holes and storyline threads left hanging by the time the credits roll, what can be the film’s saving grace? Sean Bean! Of course! As throughout the majority of his career, Bean tries his best with shocking material (I applaud anyone that has to deliver the line “bees are genetically engineered to recognise royalty" with a straight face). I had most fun trying to guess whether or not he'd be afforded the rare privilege of seeing his character survive until the end of the film.

Five stars. For Sean Bean

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/02/jupiter-ascending-review-its-no-battlefield-earth-but/

7ty3

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »

"Five stars. For Sean Bean."

Best review EVER!!!

:giggles:

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 06:45:58 AM »
Movie Fans React To 'Jupiter Ascending' - Jupiter Ascending Movie Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGSd4LifaG0

Offline misssummeruk2000

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »
Ive just come back from the local Vue where we were going to see JA
 it to have been canceled because no one but us turned up
we were told to try in the day time as more kids may go
all night time ones canceled
its not looking to good
im gutted i wanted to see Sean in 3D

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »
That's a pity about the cancellations in UK. I went tonight and saw it in IMAX 3d. The tickets are almost twice of the regular ones, but the theatre was quite full and in my opinion it is the only way to really enjoy the stunning visuals and cinematography. Its definitely safe for kids as long as they don't go asking questions about what exactly that stuff is in all those crystal cylinders. It was a great piece of fantasy entertainment that salutes a lot of different syfy/fantasy films and fiction genres, everything from Steampunk to Fifth Element, Labyrinth to Star wars as well as a bit of political commentary about people who have way too much money and value profit over human lives. And because two of the big baddies survive the cataclysmic ending, there's a good likelihood that we will see the other two films of the planned trilogy. No worries that it won't make much money in some markets, because when it hits Japan and China its going to be HUGE. 

Offline misssummeruk2000

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Ian's Treasure
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
we are just back from seeing ja
i enjoyed the film but have to say no many people there
there was one bit in the film where Sean turns to the side and it was as if he was looking at us with a smile on his face
mmm Sean in 3d
i give it a thumbs up