News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Snow Queen 2 – Magic Of The Ice Mirror  (Read 5421 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
The Snow Queen 2 – Magic Of The Ice Mirror
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:42:03 AM »
The Snow Queen 2 – Magic Of The Ice Mirror

Following on from the Snow Queen, Magic Of The Ice Mirror is the next chapter of the tale follows Gerda, Orm and her friends as well as the introduction to some brand new characters. This time the story follows the troll Orm who exaggerates his exploits during The Snow Queen. Creating the illusion he single-handed defeated the cool hearted Snow Queen.

Will Orms web of lies spiral out of control and he thinks he is going to marry the Princess where he will inherit great riches and wealth. Will his lies catch up with him and where will he end up. The North wind captures the Princess it is up to Orm and friends to save her.

His lies open up a whole new world and as Orm loses his strength,it gives power to his enemy, how can Orm save the kingdom from a life time of living in an ice kingdom again.

The Snow Queen 2 is Pirates of the Caribbean on ice you will soon be drawn into the story of lies, deceit and how telling the truth can save the day and possibly save the kingdom. He learns that friendship is the most important thing in life.
http://www.savette.com/snow-queen-2-magic-ice-mirror/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: The Snow Queen 2 – Magic Of The Ice Mirror
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
REVIEWS | THE SNOW QUEEN 2: MAGIC OF THE ICE MIRROR

The Good : Coming from the Russian animation studio Wizart, this is a very jolly, bouncy and colourful adventure. Don’t worry if you haven’t seen it the first one (because I haven’t) as the The Snow Queen 2 begins with a recap telling everything you need to know going into this one. Although it feels a bit stilted it serves as a good intro and gets you straight into it. At a very lean running time of 85 minutes, Magic of Ice Mirror is very a undemanding movie for the kids to watch. Adding voice talent from Bella Thorne, Isabelle Fuhrman and Sharlto Copley who’s is always great when it comes to his voice acting and here gives a likeable lead to follow.

Ned Stark himself Sean Bean is found in there amongst the supporting players a character that he doesn’t normally get to do so it’s nice to see… or hear in this case.

What is also good is seeing the story follows Orm rather that the previous films lead Gerda and her friends givng this sequel a identity of it’s own rather retread familiar ground. Like all children’s films it has a good moral message of not to lies don’t earn friendship and love and it’s very sweet and earnest with telling that story. The idea of using Orb’s own evil refection as the villain is a good analogy of the films themes, whispering doubts and temptations in our hero’s head for his own personal gain.

The Bad : Now of course this isn’t Disney or Dreamworks so it would be unfair to compare this to something that has a much larger budget, however with that said the difference is noticeable. It’s not that the animation is bad, it has so nice moments but it will not escape the obvious comparisons to Frozen from sharing the same source material. It also feels aimed at more of a younger audience members. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing but older members of the family won’t engage with it as much and find it too cheesey. Perhaps the film makers thought by adding real life problems like mortgagees and house eviction would solve that, but when it’s within a magical kingdom inhabited by trolls it sticks out and feels out of place. Much like the score and the music cues, it just reduces the quality of the animation even more. The running time is very brief and the plot picks up over the half way point leaving very little action. This may make children switch off before then.

The Reel Deal: The Snow Queen 2 is well intentioned and is a very easy to watch even though it’s easily forgettable. I think very young children will get the most out of this and to it’s credit that’s where it’s aiming. Even though it does have a nice heart and good moral message it will you most viewers wanting more and will then go one to watch Disney’s Frozen.

http://thereeldealonfilm.com/2014/12/08/reviews-the-snow-queen-2-magic-of-the-ice-mirror/

The Snow Queen 2 : Magic of the Ice Mirror

M, aged 7 years old really enjoyed The Snow Queen, even though he hasn’t seen the first film he could follow along, I would have liked a little bit more background incorporated into it as I was slightly confused at first (it doesn’t take much). However this is a lovely film to get into the Christmassy spirit, it isn’t quite Disney’s Frozen but it still has a feel good factor with a chilly theme.
http://cherishedbyme.com/2014/12/snow-queen-2-magic-ice-mirror/

Snow Queen 2: Magic of the Ice Mirror

We watched Snow Queen 2 (out when?) last week. More of a hit with the younger members of the family than the older, it kept both the little ones engaged throughout. Smallest tells me it was about a troll who was a liar, who was being used by the Snow Queen, but saw the error of his ways and became good.

There was one bit that was a scary (a moving troll skeleton apparently) but by the time Smallest had told me about it, it was gone. Mild peril, I suspect it will say on the parental advisory. As Smallest was given the Snow Queen (the book) for her birthday, it fitted well with the theme, and I suspect will become a part of our Christmas traditions. It’s quite nice to have a range of films that keep everyone happy anyway.

http://liveotherwise.co.uk/makingitup/2014/12/08/snow-queen-2-magic-of-the-ice-mirror/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:51:34 AM by patch »

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
What I get out of these reviews is that the film aims for a younger audience. Period. Frozen aimed for an older audience while still giving little ones something to enjoy. I may be wrong, but in my opinion that is what animation should be about. Its a way to engage young minds and hopefully give them a story with a moral to it that they may retain while also being entertaining. Disney and Pixar have moved away from that by trying to deliver social statements to adults via the simplicity of animation. Its ultimately the more simplistic animated films that seem to become the icons of childhood.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »
The Snow Queen : Magic of the Ice Mirror

If you’re looking for a wintery adventure to enjoy with the kids this Christmas holidays then you could consider The Snow Queen : Magic of the Ice Mirror

This new movie is a sequel to the 2012 movie The Snow Queen and sees the troll Orm get into trouble and adventure after he exaggerated and told everyone that he single handly defeated the Snow Queen. Desperate for money and low on his luck, he felt that this would be a sure fire way to win the people’s admiration and marry the Princess but his lies backfire.

We watched this at home (in order to review, it’s currently out in cinemas) and the boys all enjoyed the story, especially Mr T (almost 5). We had not actually seen the first Snow Queen movie, but that didn’t prevent us from following the plot or enjoying the movie. We may hunt out the first movie and watch it over the holidays since the kids enjoyed this 2nd instalment. It includes some mild peril and my youngest was a little scared at a few moments but most young children should be fine, and I think will enjoy it from age 4+

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson was one of my favourite books as a child, so I was interested to see how similar this movie would be to the book. It is much more closely tied to the original fairy tale (including the main characters Gerda and Kai) than other movies that have taken inspiration from this story (like Frozen).

http://intheplayroom.co.uk/2014/12/13/snow-queen-magic-ice-mirror/

The Snow Queen: Magic of the Ice Mirror Review

With a powerhouse vocal cast, inspiring source material from Hans Christian Andersen and moments of striking animation, there was obviously potential here. The first Snow Queen film was a little narratively random but Wizart still had, in its young audience’s loyalty, the opportunity to evolve something better. Unfortunately, pretty Northern Lights aside, The Snow Queen: Magic of the Ice Mirror is not that film. At all. It is lacking in three major areas: heart, humour and SNOW QUEEN. Seriously, flashbacks aside, there is a big Snow Queen shaped hole in the second Snow Queen film. And a chilling wind of “Meh” blows through it. But Trolls: Magic of the Ice Mirror – honest though it may be – lacks that lucrative Frozen-audience lure.

Orm simply isn’t engaging enough to carry the corpse of the story, the strong vocal performances cannot reanimate the affectless faces, the occasionally lovely natural snowscapes upstage the one-dimensional characters and the modest runtime feels like a life sentence. If slightly sinister but heartwarming winter adventures are your cup of tea, The Polar Express is back in cinemas now and Christmas 24 is spewing out hollow festive goodies like a toddler on Boxing Day. This Christmas give yourself the gift of not watching The Snow Queen sequel. You’ll thank you for it.

http://www.heyuguys.com/snow-queen-magic-ice-mirror-review/

The Snow Queen: Magic of the Ice Mirror review – frenetic but cheerful

This Russian-produced animation (stewarded by Wanted director Timur Bekmambetov) is actually the sequel to a 2012 film from the same source, embroidering on the Hans Christian Andersen fable. Both films, rather obviously, are rather in the shadow cast by Frozen, but this is cheerful enough, with a wacky troll (voiced by Sharlto Copley), a sinister ice queen, and feisty girl-hero named Gerda. There’s a frenetic, eye-popping quality to the visuals that forestalls the kind of emotional engagement Disney can offer, but there is some entertainment to be had here.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/11/the-snow-queen-magic-of-the-ice-mirror-review

The Snow Queen: Magic of the Ice Mirror (U)

Directed by: Aleksey Tsitsilin

Voices: Sean Bean, Sharlto Copley, Bella Thorne

Star rating: *

If the new Tinker Bell film seems like a weak family fare, it’s a masterpiece compared to this cheap-looking Russian animation effort from producer Timur Bekmambetov, the genre hack best known for directing hyper-violent action films like Wanted and Night Watch. For those who missed the first film, there’s a quick précis of its gibberish action to reintroduce us to its troll hero Orm (voiced by Sharlto Copley), but the subsequent story – which also features the vocal talents of Sean Bean – is charmless and boring, bares little relationship to Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale, and should in no way be mistaken for a way to satiate fans of Frozen.

http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/film/film-review-the-face-of-love-the-green-prince-1-3633649

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:45:47 AM by patch »