News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: That Dodgy Biography.  (Read 5840 times)

Lady Jane

That Dodgy Biography.
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:51:25 PM »
I know, it isn't Sean's work, but its a work about Sean, so I thought Id put my critique here! Well.... I read it, didn't take very long.  It's basically a filmography, lacking style as well as substance. The woman is obsessed with dates; filming dates, opening dates, it became tedious.  As to her research, Id say she did all of it online, as there was nothing in the book that one wouldn't find on IMDB. She did talk to a few people, mainly directors and other actors, but also a few teachers and a neighbour from his childhood. That's what I found most surprising, how can you write a book about someone without actually interviewing that person at all? Nothing from his family, friends, wives or kids either. Its like she deliberately went out of her way to avoid anyone who actually knows him personally! I found it all too sweet to be wholesome. The way she praised and flattered him constantly, was nauseating. After all he's a man not a Saint and all that flattery just came across as disingenuous at best, and at worst downright sinister, like she was covering over some awful truth or something! There was a couple of interesting pieces. I enjoyed the part about the making of Clarissa, but beyond that it was a very poor read. No insights, nothing new, just a rehash of old film reviews really.  I had read a number of reviews and was prepared for a disappointing and lacklustre book and that is exactly what she delivered!

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: That Dodgy Biography.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »
You're absolutely right, LJ. But the it's the UNauthorised bio.

tinytim

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »
I was disappointed, too, LJ. Nothing you really MUST read!

Lady Jane

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »
We all know how Sean is not averse to nudity on screen, but I thought it was rich, though perhaps no surprise, that he was quoted in the book as saying he would not be impressed to see his wife (Melanie) naked on screen. Well she has certainly got him back on that score in recent years judging by a clip I came across on You Tube last night! I couldnt believe my eyes! I was going to post it here but I felt it would be in bad taste, then I thought, hang on, this has already been on national TV so what the hell! If anyone wants to see the clip Im referring to it will be in the 18+ thread. (Id put it in the 40+ thread, but there isnt one, scary stuff!!!!!)

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
Most autobiographies aren't authorised actually.  We have celebs being interviewed all the time here in the States and being asked whether they read this or that autobiography of themselves and some of them are very amusing with their answers.  Such as... "I never knew I won a XX award in kindergarten!"  etc. etc.

Amber

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
The author has made a very good living basically using this same formula over and over again for a number of books on celebrities and, for the most part, obviously on-set anecdotes apart, the information and assumptions could be made by any fan who has appreciated someone for a long time and has managed to keep up with all of their comings and goings, performances and articles.  Beyond what she researches and collates into the one volume, there isn't much that anyone here from the start couldn't have produced but, having said that, the various filming anecdotes were interesting, with the poor director of "Clarissa" and his log incident being one that made me laugh out loud - sorry!

Offline crossing-sweeper

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:21:50 AM »
 :claws