News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jupiter Ascending SPOILERS !  (Read 5637 times)

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
Jupiter Ascending SPOILERS !
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
So I thought that it might be a good idea to have a place were we could talk FREELY about this movie and
NOT MESS-IT-UP for other people.

I was disappointed that this movie had very little story and character development. The special effects were
GREAT, but they were too long !! To much time was spent watching TC flying around, shooting guns and
catching Kunis as she fell to her death over and over !! Once would have been enough !!

I ready was looking forward to the BACKSTORY of how Caine and Stringer lost their wings, they should have
done that scene. That scene would have pulled the plot together, and made Caine and Stinger's relation much
more meaningful. Also first they said Caine bit someone, but lately we find out that he tore someone's throat out !!
Again no details as to why he would do that. Was it because he was part WOLF ?? We never really find out
what it was like to be part wolf or part BEE. Again NO INFO !! Good ideas need to be explored and developed
NOT left HANGING. Like the audience.

:slyfox

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:20:03 PM by lasue »

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
Re: Jupiter Ascending SPOILERS !
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 12:16:31 AM »
I agree completely. I didn't feel invested in the characters at all, but that scene would have been perfect.

I personally felt like there was not enough Bean screen time. I mean, they could have done so much more with his character. You barely get a glimpse at his sweet bee abilities.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »
You are so right !! They should have made Sean's scenes longer and shown the audience more about what it
meant to BEE (hee hee) genetically different from other people. They had some very good ideas, but they
never went beyond a basic sketch of a concept for the characters in their movie. Which made it harder to feel
anything for them. However, Sean did a good job with as little as they gave him to work with. More time with him and Caine would have made the storyline more emotionally charged !!

Also I would like to know what happened to Stinger's daughter ?? She went to the store and was never seen
again. WHY ??? She is suppose to be sick with a disease, but was that because her father is part BEE ?? And
what about her mother ?? Questions, questions, questions how about some ANSWERS.
                                                                                                                                 :frustrate:

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
Well, many of your observations sound very much like those from when The Matrix first opened. The first one didn't do that well at the box office, but that didn't stop the two sequels. JA is also based on a trilogy. However, times are different now and studios are not so fast and loose with their money. If a film doesn't make a huge profit in its first weeks the likelihood of a sequel diminish rapidly. I see JA as having HUGE potential in foreign markets. Its just the thing that drives young Asians to theaters. So, we'll just have to hope that international box office makes up for the lack of enthusiasm here in the US. Matrix went on to become a huge piece of the fabric of modern sci-fi.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »
I have my fingers crossed that your 100% right about the future of Jupiter Ascending. It has a lot of potential
and good characters (especially STINGER). Maybe they should hire some ARTISTS to produce a graphic
novel about the story. That would build interest in the next movie. HOPE, HOPE, HOPE !!

7ty3

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:02:15 PM »
You never know, JA might end up becoming a cult classic in time! Sometimes happens with films that aren't all that well received when first released, although that probably wouldn't help much in determining if there are any sequels or not...

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 04:49:35 AM »
I think the graphic novel or a comic book for the trilogy would be a good thing. Adaptations of those sorts of superhero-driven things seem to be what are ruling the box office at the moment. Studios are going all out for subjects if they come from a successful comic book. Or, better yet, come up with a way to crossover into the Captain America universe.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »
They should also do a big promotional event at one of the comic book conventions. That's were the FANS hang
out. In fact they should of had Sean and some of the other stars do one before JA came to the movie theatres.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »
Why women love 'Jupiter Ascending'

Recently, Hollywood proved once again that it just does not understand women. This proof came in the form of a trashy blockbuster that struck a chord with women, though it was widely derided by critics for its weird concept and laughable dialogue. And no, I'm not talking about Fifty Shades of Grey.

Jupiter Ascending is a box office flop, in part because it was pushed back from summer 2014 to February, the elephant's graveyard of abandoned blockbusters. But in certain corners of the Internet, it has already been crowned the Best Movie Ever. Or at least, the Best Movie Ever of early 2015.

Basically, this movie turned out to be catnip for a certain subset of geeky, self-aware young women, which is why it's going to enjoy a long life as a staple of boozy sleepovers and costumed indie theater screenings.

Jupiter Ascending features talking dinosaurs, shirtless Channing Tatum being chased around on flying rollerblades, fleets of bedazzled spaceships, jokes about feminine hygiene products, and a scene where Mila Kunis looks soulfully into the eyes of a werewolf and says, "I've always loved dogs." It is dumb, and weird, and beautiful, and it wants you to be happy. And if the people trying to market it had realized it was a girl-friendly fairytale with the same appeal as cult classics like Flash Gordon, Labyrinth, and Barbarella, then perhaps they would have made some real money.

Every year, we are offered a whole host of big-budget movies that cater directly to the teen boy id. These movies usually focus on a dorky everyman hero or a superpowered badass, and rely on a combination of high production values and A-list stars to support a dodgy screenplay. No matter whether their reviews are mediocre (Transformers) or excellent (Guardians of the Galaxy), they make a ton of money and are widely described as "fun," even by critics who don't think they're very good.

Jupiter Ascending is far from a masterpiece, but it fills a niche that many critics (and filmmakers) don't seem to realize even exists: The desire for a fun, frothy Guardians of the Galaxy-style movie that doesn't include sexist jokes or a male protagonist. It's a wish-fulfillment fantasy that falls somewhere between The Princess Diaries and Star Wars, except with more speaking roles for women than any sci-fi blockbuster in recent memory. And yet it's already been consigned to the garbage heap of Hollywood flops, rather than where it really belongs: the garbage heap of our hearts.

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/jupiter-ascending-female-audience/

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
And that's why it will eventually make back the money it took to make it and why we'll get a sequel. They need to figure it out quickly and refocus their marketing. Its not too late because as soon as the deep freeze lets people finally dig out they will be looking for some indoor fun and this is one of those fun, kitschy films that girls nights out were made for.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
I hope so SABLE. I also hope they read that article and take NOTES !!

Offline SMcFirefly

• Ian's Treasure
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:46:18 AM »
And that's why it will eventually make back the money it took to make it and why we'll get a sequel. They need to figure it out quickly and refocus their marketing. Its not too late because as soon as the deep freeze lets people finally dig out they will be looking for some indoor fun and this is one of those fun, kitschy films that girls nights out were made for.

I honestly do not know how we would possibly get a sequel. Simply making back the money is not going to suffice. Also, I highly doubt they will even break even with this film.

It is sitting at $115 million on a budget of $175, not including the millions spent on all of the marketing before the release.

As much as I'd like a sequel and to see more Stinger, I just don't think it is going to happen.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »
This isn't the first movie that the Wachowskis have lost money on. Their last 2 films have also done poorly at
the box office. However, if their smart they could make a lot of CASH if they follow the marketing advise that
we have been talking about. Also they need to develop the storyline and the characters and cut down on the
special effects. Which would make the movie cheater to make. We all know that their going to continue to
make movies. So why not make a sequel to JA which already has a loyal fan base ??

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:57:38 PM by lasue »

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 12:18:16 AM »
So far, JA is following in the footsteps of the first Matrix film. It wasn't until it had a complete worldwide release that it got out of the red and started making a profit. Its only been 19 days since release, so its still got a ways to go before anyone goes putting a stake through its heart.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »
So the MATRIX made most of it's money over seas and NOT in the US ?? That's interesting.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:52:02 PM by lasue »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
Could ‘Jupiter Ascending’ be the next cult classic?

Despite the cautionary tales that the new science-fiction movie, “Jupiter Ascending” was two-thumbs down, I went to the theater anyway. Plopping down in my seat, I decided I’d keep an open mind despite harsh reviews from friends, and even my mother, that the movie was plain terrible.

Let me tell you, “Jupiter Ascending” is pretty bad, but in a way that makes it a delight to watch.

The story is about Russian immigrant and cleaning lady, Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis), who discovers she is the reincarnation of the matriarch of the Abrasax family, an intergalactic royal family.

The other members of the royal family, Titus Abrasax (Daniel Booth), Kalique Abrasax (Tuppence Middleton), and Balem Abrasax (Eddie Redmayne), try to trick Jupiter into giving up her control over the Earth. She is aided by her love interest, space werewolf Caine Wise (Channing Tatum), and his old mentor, Stinger Apini (Sean Bean).

Kunis as Jupiter Jones has the Cinderella role locked down. She has no father, a family who doesn’t understand her, a life spent cleaning up after other people, and a handsome man who comes to take her away to happiness. Sure, it’s cliche, but not usually seen in action movies. Caine may not be the traditional white knight, but he is Jupiter’s savior for sure, though the movie makes sure to paint him as her equal.

The plot is overshadowed by the many spaceship battles, chase scenes, and explosions, that characterize a typical science-fiction movie. There is even a scene where a planet is revealed while dramatic music swells in the background. It is nothing that hasn’t been done before, but what makes this movie unique is that it is an original space opera, a genre that has been sorely lacking absent in recent films.

The special effects range from ridiculous — Caine riding around on what are basically Heelys sneakers for space — to stunning, when Jupiter is enveloped in a swarm of bees. The costumes, designed by Kym Barrett, are gorgeous and go the extra mile  for every character.

Although many aspects of this moving are flat-out bizarre, like how the bees can sense royalty, others are actually sweet. Jupiter makes the decision to choose the Earth over her family because she knows that even the poorest person has value.

Props go to Redmayne for playing the stereotypical villain and a spoiled mamma’s boy, who talks like someone’s stepping on his throat, all while wearing sparkles. The romance between Caine and Jupiter is nothing special, but I dare you to try and not laugh when Jupiter tells Caine, “I love dogs,” in order to try and convince him that they should be together. While the love story is predictable between Jupiter and Caine, the audience appeared still pleasantly surprised when the two embraced and kissed.

This movie is definitely over-the-top, but as I sat in the theater, I realized that I had the privilege of watching a cult classic being born. I left the theater feeling like I had definitely gotten my money’s worth and was glad that I kept an open mind.

http://suffolkjournal.net/2015/03/could-jupiter-ascending-be-the-next-cult-classic/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20TheSuffolkJournal%20(The%20Suffolk%20Journal)

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
That last critic nailed it. It was exactly how I felt when I left the theater. It doesn't have to make a huge amount of money right now, because its going to be lifted to cult status really fast, just like The Matrix. It was an amazing two hours of feel-good pure escapism.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
CULT STATUS !!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE !! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Offline crossing-sweeper

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »
 :claws

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
Jupiter Ascending - DVD Review
  Indeed, the only person who emerges with any real credit is Sean Bean, whose rogue warrior does at least possess the kind of enigmatic presence the rest of the film is lacking. 
http://www.indielondon.co.uk/DVD-Review/jupiter-ascending-dvd-review