News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Martian SPOILERS !!  (Read 5596 times)

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
Martian SPOILERS !!
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
Unfortunately I have NOT seen the MARTIAN YET !!! However, please feel free to tell us ALL about this movie
and of course was Sean GREAT in this movie or REALLY GREAT in this movie !!! As soon as I see this film I
will give you my open opinion on SEAN'S PERFORMANCE !!! Until than have FUN !!! :thumbsup:

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
Re: Martian SPOILERS !!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:36:07 AM »
I'll see "The Martian" next friday 16 th october because in spain the open is 16 th october so I must wait

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 01:46:11 AM »
I went to see it. In the cinema. I don't see many movies in the cinema, so that was fun.

Sean was excellent. I think his best scenes were unfortunately given away in the trailers released beforehand. I wish they hadn't  tipped the Council of Elrond thing beforehand. He plays a stand-up guy with a back-bone, willing to lose his job for what he thinks is right. And Sean's perfect for that. My favourite part was when he says, "No. It's not."  In the final scene, when they are showing what everybody is doing later (2 years later?), Sean is playing golf, presumably retired. I fully expected him to be killed by a golf ball.  I think it would have been funny. Or as I said elsewhere, for arrows to come out of nowhere and fly into his chest. 

Anyway, Sean's great in it, and the movie in general is terrific. Even though I knew the rescue was successful, the tension was so racked up and I was really in suspense for what seemed like an hour. I am extremely emotional, and at one point I was thinking, shoot, I'm going to have to get up  and go out because I can't stand it. Matt Damon is very good, too. So that's my 2 cents.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »
OK, I finally saw this movie yesterday. It's a good film, but I wish Sean had a BIGGER PART !! However, as
usual Sean STOLE each scene he was in !! He's so TALENTED that he can use his rugged features to convey
NOT just one EMOTION, but numerous emotions that are relevant to that character !! Mitch's warm compassion
really came across when he was talking to the crew about Mark's survival on MARS. You could feel his
EMPATHY and love for these people and how much he was trying to help them and Mark with this problem.
Also BRILLANT was the many EXPRESSIONS he gave Teddy when he was told that he would be terminated.
Sean is so GREAT at making you feel his PAIN and SORROW !! Unlike most other actors Sean's Not AFRAID
to go there, and take you with him to that DARK SPOT in your SOUL !!

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
This is still bothering me about this movie. At the end of the film we see Sean's character Mitch playing golf,
but we are NOT told if he was forced to leave his job, or did he just have a day off ???? Does anyone know if
the book explains this ??? :frustrate:

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
He was forced to resign. In the movie, Teddy (Jeff Daniels) tells Mitch (Sean Bean) something like "I'll expect your resignation when this is over," and Mitch says something like, "I understand." It's when Teddy realises that it was Mitch who secretly sent the crew the rescue plan.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »
what about Elrond's council?

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »
Yes, I know Teddy told him to resign in the movie, but he was getting along better with Mitch when they went
to China. In the end it was the best decision for NASA to make. GREAT PR !!! So did Teddy have a change of
heart ??? We did not see Sean's character cleaning out his desk. So is the book different than the movie on
this point ??? :frustrate:

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 02:06:57 AM »

Yes, I know Teddy told him to resign in the movie, but he was getting along better with Mitch when they went
to China. In the end it was the best decision for NASA to make. GREAT PR !!! So did Teddy have a change of
heart ??? We did not see Sean's character cleaning out his desk. So is the book different than the movie on
this point ???
Sue, I haven't read the book so I can't say.

They were getting along  to accomplish the goal. You can bet Teddy would never forget Mitch calling him a goddamn coward. But it wasn't personal per se. It was that he broke the rules.  And people knew he broke the rules and went over Teddy's head. Can't have that.

I can't remember the end too well, but didn't it show that all the crew who mutinied were no longer at NASA? Remember the commander saying that she and the other military person would be courtmartialed?  There'd be no point in showing him playing golf other than to show him enjoying his forced retirement.  I got the idea that everybody involved in the mutiny lost their jobs, but because they were national heroes, they weren't imprisoned or punished otherwise.

Are you asking a question? Did you get to see the film?

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
  • Life is a song, love is the music
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 08:48:06 AM »

They were getting along  to accomplish the goal. You can bet Teddy would never forget Mitch calling him a goddamn coward. But it wasn't personal per se. It was that he broke the rules.  And people knew he broke the rules and went over Teddy's head. Can't have that.

Are you asking a question? Did you get to see the film?

I apologize if I offend anyone with this - because it's  bit odd - odd for me anayways but whenever Sean swears in a scene, it makes my knees go a little bit weak. Anyone else share my strange reaction?

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »
Well, Rebecca I didn't read the book either, but I think you right about Mitch getting the boot. I guess I wanted
Teddy to do the RIGHT THING, and NOT be a BIG :censored:

Lab183 just so you know I LOVE IT WHEN SEAN SWEARS !! In a movie or TV scene of course. :mutley:

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 01:54:32 AM »

I apologize if I offend anyone with this - because it's  bit odd - odd for me anayways but whenever Sean swears in a scene, it makes my knees go a little bit weak. Anyone else share my strange reaction?
Not to worry. I think we all have rather strange reactions to Sean sometimes.   :naughty: Hehe.

If you've not discovered the You Tube videos yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8IuThoWuU&feature=youtu.be

And this one has poor visuals, but I include it for the scene with the Marquesa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsfh-hblwBA

Offline lab183

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Merrick's Clone
  • Life is a song, love is the music
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
I am definitely in the right place then - I feel I have definitely found some true kindred spirits!  :thanks2

and thank you so much for the links...however, i may be useless for a awhile now... :fanning:

Offline Rebecca

• First Acolyte
  • Sharpe's Siren
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 02:11:54 AM »
You're welcome.  :)