News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When Saturday Comes 2 - sequel to legendary Sheffield United football movie  (Read 4789 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
EXCLUSIVE: When Saturday Comes 2 - sequel to legendary Sheffield United football movie has been written

It is 21 years since Sheffield acting star Sean Bean lived out his boyhood fantasies by playing for the Blades in the gritty British movie, filmed in and around Sheffield - and now a budding screenwriter has decided the time is right for a second installment.

When Saturday Comes 2: Redemption has been written by aspiring talent Deano Jones and picks up the story from the end of the last film - but shows how the life of central character, Jimmy Muir (played by Bean) has gone off the rails into a spiral of drink addiction and personal problems.

But he is now hoping that When Saturday Comes 2 will make it to cinema screens - with Sean Bean reprising his role.

He said: "The film is ripe for a sequel. The new script touches on a lot of different issues - mental health, alcoholism and the relationship between a father and his son."It brings all those elements together and it is not just about football. The original When Saturday Comes was such an inspirational film and I wanted to follow up on that."

He says he has "no idea" whether his idea will ever come to the silver screen and says he's not written it to make money - but hopes that the script will fall into Bean's hands."I just want to get the story out there and hope it gets to the right people. I hope that Sean gets hold of it and enjoys it and that people root for it to be made."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/exclusive-when-saturday-comes-2-sequel-to-legendary-sheffield-united-football-movie-has-been-written-1-8795180

@Chriswalkeract @patheuk @SeanBeanOnline @MariaGiese @SheffieldStar http://www.simplyscripts.com/scripts/WhenSaturdayComesRedemption.pdf … please check out my sequel to #WSC #Jimmymuir

https://twitter.com/Deanojones14/status/917118483309228032

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:22:36 AM by patch »

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
The original ended on a high note. Anything further would ruin the lovely "happily ever after" feeling that WSC ended on. I'm not rooting for this to get made. There's plenty of stories like what this guy is outlining that have done the subjects he wants to feature to death.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
'We're working on a final draft:' Writer of Sheffield football film When Saturday Comes says sequel is a step closer
A sequel to Sheffield United football film When Saturday Comes has moved a step closer after the writer of the original movie revealed he was working on a final draft of the script. It was announced last year that a fan of the 1996 movie - starring Sean Bean and based and filmed in Sheffield - had written a sequel to the film, set 20 years on.

Now screenwriter James Daly has said that work on the project has gathered pace and that he is working with Deano Jones, the writer of the new script, on a final draft. He said: "He's very passionate and a sequel is quite exciting. "We are in the stages of getting it to a final draft. We are going through it now and writing a final draft."The Star revealed last October how Deano had written a sequel to the film in which Sheffield's own Sean Bean lived out his boyhood fantasies by playing for the Blades in the gritty British movie.The movie showed the actor's character Jimmy Muir redeeming himself and becoming a Bramall Lane after originally blowing a trial for the club by getting drunk the night before.And James has revealed that that particular part of the plot was based on his own life.

A promising local footballer with Hallam FC, James was given a trial for United but went out boozing.He said: "I had a trial at Sheffield United but screwed it up. I got drunk the night before and woke up next to a stripper."In hindsight, it worked out quite well as after I moved to America, lived in LA, wrote a script about my life growing up in Sheffield and that became When Saturday Comes."James said that once the script has been completed, the challenge will be getting the film made with money the key issue - although he said that United hero Tony Currie, who appeared in the original movie, is lined up for the sequel.

He added: "We're at the final stages of the draft but then its got to come together with the finances. Hopefully it will get made but we will just have to wait and see. Its all down to financing."The film, When Saturday Comes 2: Redemption picks up the story from the end of the last film - but shows how the life of central character Jimmy has gone off the rails into a spiral of drink addiction and personal problems.Deano, 30, was such a fan of the original movie that he spent a month dreaming up and penning the sequel to the film which sees Bean play a factory worker plucked from obscurity to play for Sheffield United.As well as Bean, the movie also featured Emily Lloyd, Pete Postlethwaite as well as Blades legend Tony Currie and Owls star Mel Sterland - who was pictured playing for United in the flick.He said: "To me, it is one of the top five films ever made. I love watching it.

"The Trainspotting 2 sequel showed me there was potential for a follow-up and that's when I decided to come up with the idea."He said: "The film is ripe for a sequel. The new script touches on a lot of different issues - mental health, alcoholism and the relationship between a father and his son. It brings all those elements together and it is not just about football."The original When Saturday Comes was such an inspirational film and I wanted to follow up on that."

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/we-re-working-on-a-final-draft-writer-of-sheffield-football-film-when-saturday-comes-says-sequel-is-a-step-closer-1-9208232

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
The people of Sheffield want to see Jimmy Muir back on their screens!! Big buzz about a sequel I wrote to the 1996 Sean Bean Film “When Saturday Comes” script has been read by James Daly who is fully behind a sequel... hopefully 2019 we can see Sean Bean reprise the role

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGVvT9g8gR/