News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sally4Ever review  (Read 1358 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Sally4Ever review
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:39:01 AM »
Sally4Ever review – Julia Davis unleashes another comic monster
A singular mix of humiliation, emotional agony and bodily fluids skewers the viewer in exquisite agony
It is a reminder that, when discussing Davis, new words for “black” and “comedy” need to be found.

There are certain visuals now lodged for ever with the bald stinky and fat urethra in the dungeon of my mind, ready to prey upon me in the wee small hours. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, but it doesn’t matter. Davis is sui generis and you are free to respond to her as you see fit. The only thing that is not in question is that she is a woman of singular vision – a disgusting, hilarious, agonising vision, but singular – and has the actors to realise it perfectly. 
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/oct/25/sally4ever-review-julia-davis-another-excruciating-comic-monster

TV review: Sally4Ever; 100 Days to Victory
Julia Davis’s sitcom return is not for the fainthearted
Some viewers will have loved the new Sky Atlantic comedy Sally4Ever and some, we can safely say, will have loathed it with a pearl-clutching passion. But both camps will surely agree on this — China in Your Hand is ruined. For all of us. For ever. I only hope Carol Decker had a Valium to hand. Because we will never dissociate it now from that unforgettable lesbian sex scene in which — stop reading if you’re of a sensitive disposition — Emma (Julia Davis) removed Sally’s (Catherine Shepherd) bloody tampon with her teeth and flung it across the room. I haven’t monitored tampons as props over the years, but I fancy this was a TV first.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/tv-review-sally4ever-100-days-to-victory-td2bsx05c

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:01:17 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: Sally4Ever review
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:06:27 AM »
Some people (and I was one) wondered whether Julia Davis’s Sally4Ever would run out of steam after last week’s excruciating but darkly splendid opener. How do you follow that? The answer was with more filth. And a different flavour of viewer agony. Last night Davis’s character, Emma, emerged as an appalling fantasist and sociopath — your basic 18-carat hell-woman — who took over Sally’s house and told her God-fearing parents over a birthday supper that she was now a lesbian and not marrying David (Alex Macqueen), who became almost likeable by comparison.

Sally’s exquisite discomfort as she is controlled by a narcissist is a testament to Catherine Shepherd’s talent. After David’s father hanged himself (not standard comedy fare) they visited his elderly mother, whereupon Sally and Emma commenced a vigorous sex session in the spare room, the shock of which rendered the old lady mute and only able to mime the spectacle with her hands. I won’t describe it (it wouldn’t get past the sub-editors), I’ll just type “scissoring” and bid you good day.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tv-review-the-first-sally4ever-b6kjx00jq