News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jason Salkey ‘Rifleman Harris’  (Read 2568 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Jason Salkey ‘Rifleman Harris’
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:25:02 AM »
‘Superfan’ gives Sharpe star ‘Rifleman Harris’ his King’s shilling to plant his colours in Angus for the first time

A Sharpe “superfan” has asked one of TV’s most famous riflemen to plant his colours in Angus for the first time.

From over the hills and far away, 95th Regiment ‘Rifleman Harris’ has been enlisted for a spoken word event in Montrose on January 22.

Local man Barry Graham, 56, said he has given Harris – actor Jason Salkey – his King’s shilling for a one-off oral history of how Bernard Cornwell’s epic novels were brought to the small screen.

Mr Graham said: “I’m just a big fan of the series Sharpe.

“I personally regard the series almost as an institution and of legendary status.

“I think that it is a fantastic opportunity for the ‘lucky few’ to meet Jason and hear his fascinating insights and his personal experiences during his Sharpe” years with a question and answer session included.

“Whether others in Montrose will agree has yet to be seen.”

Salkey has written a new book ‘From Crimea with Love’ about his role in the Napoleonic TV movies alongside Sean Bean that changed his life forever.

The series was shot mainly in Crimea in the rapidly disintegrated Soviet Union where Salkey and the crew went on to create one of Britain’s most successful and critically acclaimed television programmes.

Mr Graham, who is an author, poet, composer and historical researcher, said Salkey got in touch through social media to enquire if he’d be interested in his upcoming book.

He said: “I’m guessing he found me through his co-star, Daragh O’Malley, who is on my friend list.

“I’m also a great admirer of John Tams who was rifleman Daniel Hagman and his music and have been privileged to have met him.

“After some mutual messaging we have made a plan and I contributed £270 towards Jasons’s book in order to have the lecture in Montrose.

“I will cover his expenses and try to offset some of them with a small £5 door charge on the night.

“I’ve arranged he and his wife’s accommodation and the lecture venue 7 Sins here in Montrose with the help of its owners, Scott Learmonth and Rhys Gourlay.”

Mr Graham and his late cousin John Molloy founded ‘The George Beattie Project’ and published a book of extensive research with regards history occurring in Montrose and St Cyrus around the ‘Napoleonic’ era.

He said: “Meeting Jason will be a first and we’re looking forward to driving him and his wife to various places of interest.”

Salkey’s memoir promises to be an “eye-opening, jaw-dropping insider’s account” which will document the “mishaps, blunders, incompetence and downright corruption that made Sharpe’s Rifles go down in British television and film production folklore for its tales of hardship, disaster and chaos only rivalled by the Ukraine itself”.

He will appear in Montrose on Tuesday January 22 at 7 Sins in Hume Street at 8pm with tickets on sale now.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/759478/superfan-gives-sharpe-star-rifleman-harris-his-kings-shilling-to-plant-his-colours-in-angus-for-the-first-time/

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:27:15 AM by patch »

Offline Janice1066

• First Class Exploring Officer
  • Sharpeshooter
    • Hopkinsfan.net
Re: Jason Salkey ‘Rifleman Harris’
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
I came across a mention of this lecture event on Vimeo today:

https://vimeo.com/299201738

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:40:16 AM »
Steampunk splendour returning to Whitby
A rather splendid affair is promised when Whitby Steampunk Weekend returns next month at Whitby Pavilion. Considered by many to be the second largest Steampunk event in the UK – and certainly one of the friendliest – another exciting weekend is in store from February 8 to 10, with a number of activities, presentations and demonstrations lined up as well as the Steampunk Retail Emporium.

The event features a special guest appearance from actor Jason Salkey, most well-known for playing the educated rifleman Harris in the Sharpe series alongside Sean Bean. He also starred in the movie About a Boy. Tapping into his written diaries, photo journal and video log, Salkey brings you an eye-opening insider’s account of one of the best-loved shows ever made. An audience with Jason is on at Whitby Pavilion on the Saturday and Sunday, 1pm, advance tickets £5.

https://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/steampunk-splendour-returning-to-whitby-1-9540499

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:38:38 AM »
Rifleman Harris believes Angus could provide perfect backdrop for Sharpe reunion with Sean Bean
One of TV’s most famous riflemen has told how Angus could provide the perfect backdrop for a Sharpe reunion with Sean Bean.

Jason Salkey, who played 95th Regiment ‘Rifleman Harris’ in the Napoleonic War-set drama, was speaking in advance of of his arrival in “God’s country” next week for a spoken word event.

Local man Barry Graham, 56, gave the actor his king’s shilling to bring Salkey to 7 Sins in Montrose where he will speak to the “chosen few” about how Bernard Cornwell’s epic novels were brought to the small screen.

Mr Graham and his late cousin, John Molloy, founded The George Beattie Project and published a history book containing extensive research on events occurring in Montrose and St Cyrus around the Napoleonic era.

“I had no idea Montrose and Angus had such as Napoleonic history and I will be intrigued to find out more,” said Mr Salkey.

“But I shouldn’t be surprised as some of Wellington’s most fearsome and effective troops came from north of the border.

“As long as there is room to march off over the hills and far away then I’m sure Montrose would do just find as a backdrop for more Sharpe adventures.

“Of course they already did a comeback with the Indian Sharpes some 10 years after Waterloo was aired.

“As my character was brutally hacked down by the producers – I mean the French – at that decisive battle, I will never pull the on the green uniform on screen again.

“There is one book they could conceivably do which is Sharpe’s Devil, where Sharpe and Harper sail to South America to help Blas Vivar suppress a rebellion in Bolivia or somewhere?

“On the way, they stop off at St Helena and meet Napoleon.

“The trouble is the story is set five years after Waterloo – therefore Sharpe and Harper showing up as fat, old, grey geezers would make the audience wonder how they could have aged so much in just half a decade.

“But, hey, we live in hope.”

Mr Salkey has written a new book, From Crimea with Love, about the role alongside Sean Bean that changed his life forever.

The series was shot mainly in Crimea, in the rapidly disintegrated Soviet Union, where Mr Salkey and the crew went on to create one of Britain’s most successful and critically acclaimed television programmes.

Mr Salkey said fans can expect a “humorous, often shocking but always engaging skip through the twists and turns of the making of one of Britain’s most loved TV shows”.

“It’s true that I have never been up Montrose way before, therefore after more than a half century on this earth I thought it was about time.

“And when Barry told me there were many Sharpe appreciators up his way that would love to hear about my story of the making of the show the plan was hatched.

“Aside from some of the most beautiful scenery on offer in the UK – it is God’s country after all – I like the look of the museum at the airfield.

“If the weather isn’t too brisk I would enjoy a little walk on the sandy beach of the nature reserve where I could show off one of my other passions – frisbee.”

Mr Salkey will appear in Montrose on January 22 at 7 Sins on Hume Street at 8pm, with tickets on sale now at the venue.
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/806518/rifleman-harris-believes-angus-could-provide-perfect-backdrop-for-sharpe-reunion-with-sean-bean/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 04:32:41 AM »
Television star becomes new ambassador for children's mental health project

A TELEVISION star has been named as the new ambassador of a Prestonpans founded children’s mental health project.

Jason Salkey, 59, best known for playing Harris in the Napoleonic Wars television series Sharpe, starring Sean Bean, is waving the flag for the county’s The Destiny Project SCIO.

The project was set up by Andrew Stevenson, Prestonpans Community Council vice-chairman.

The father-of-one got in contact with Jason about his book From Crimea with Love: Misadventures in the Making of Sharpe’s Rifles.

He said: “I was talking to him about the importance of child mental health and reducing the impact on child poverty.

“I explained to him the importance of the Destiny Project.

“Jason played Harris in Sharpe, one of my favourite characters who I fondly remember watching as a little boy, so I asked him if he would consider being an ambassador to our amazing little charity and he agreed.”

Mr Stevenson’s project provides support and advocacy for children and young people in East Lothian.

He added: “We have Wallyford in Bloom starting this spring and within this we have created a litter clean every first Saturday morning of the month, meeting at 10am at Wallyford train station, starting on March 5.

“We are eager to showcase the importance of dreaming big, inspiring others and achieving goals.

“We are always on the hunt for volunteers.

“We have started a young ambassador program designed to provide health knowledge to young people while providing a platform to share their views.”

Anyone interested in getting involved in the project can email andrewthedestiny project@gmail.com

The project is also on the lookout for business sponsors for the new In Bloom project.

Mr Stevenson added: “We aim to promote the benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle via new programmes under development.”
https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/19975815.television-star-becomes-new-ambassador-childrens-mental-health-project/

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 11:06:27 AM »
Thanks to  bean-land.de

The Reunion on BBC Radio 4 has recorded a show for the 30th anniversary of Sharpe’s broadcast. It's due to be aired on April 16th. Many thanks to John Miller for contacting the producers and suggesting Sharpe as a subject.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sharpesrifles/posts/10160799566989176

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 11:10:03 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 09:29:23 AM »
Looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with Fort Amherst Sunday/Monday for the Family Fantasy Fest. Here are some snaps from my first visit in Apr 1995.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/160493323989218/posts/6378199992218489/

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 09:30:55 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 07:24:04 AM »

The Reunion on BBC Radio 4 has recorded a show for the 30th anniversary of Sharpe’s broadcast. It's due to be aired on April 16th. Many thanks to John Miller for contacting the producers and suggesting Sharpe as a subject.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sharpesrifles/posts/10160799566989176

Sharpe The Reunion  Tomorrow 16 April 2023 11:15 BBC RADIO 4
It was a Napoleonic war drama to be shot in the Crimean Peninsula. But little did the producers know that they would be sending the cast and crew to film in a rapidly disintegrating Soviet Union.

Once in Crimea, the whole production faced near-starvation and danger around every corner as they set about creating one of Britain’s most successful and critically acclaimed 90s television programmes, Sharpe.

It was to go down in television folklore for its unique tales of mishaps and hardship. Renowned actor Paul McGann was originally cast to play the lead character, Sharpe. But only six weeks into filming he picked up a serious injury and had to pull out.

It left the production in chaos and saw one of the highest-ever insurance pay-outs for a television series.

Everyone packed up back to the UK with the future of the series left in suspense. That was until a relatively unknown actor called Sean Bean took on the part and the show was back on the road. The cast and crew headed back to Simferopol in Crimea (later to be nicknamed “simplyawful”) and filming resumed.

Sharpe became a six series hit across nearly 15 years, with viewing figures topping 10 million.

Our panel includes Sharpe’s author Bernard Cornwell, then-assistant producer Stuart Sutherland, one of the “chosen men” Jason Salkey who played one of Sean Bean’s right hand men, Michael Cochrane who played Colonel Sir Henry Simmerson across the entire series, and Diana Perez who played Ramona. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001l1zh

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 07:27:25 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 06:45:27 AM »
Sharpe

Released On: 16 Apr 2023 Available for over a year

Kirsty Wark reunites the cast and crew of the 1990s Napoleonic drama Sharpe. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001l1zh