News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Marriage  (Read 6588 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: Marriage
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2022, 06:19:25 AM »
Marriage star Sean Bean is "so bored" of detective dramas
The actor discussed how new drama Marriage breaks traditional formulas.
Understated BBC drama Marriage gives viewers a glimpse into Ian (Sean Bean) and Emma's (Nicola Walker) life over the course of four episodes. The couple have been married for 30 years, and when we first meet them they are returning to the UK from a trip to Spain to celebrate their anniversary.

Despite bickering about chips and discussing dodgy tummies, the show soon delves into much murkier emotional territory, underpinned by Bean and Walker's performances. The fact it doesn't follow a traditional structure is precisely what Bean considers its strength.

Speaking to RadioTimes.com and other press during a Q&A, the Game of Thrones actor praised writer/director Stefan Golaszewski for being "brave", before explaining why he's "bored" of detective dramas.

"He [Stefan Golaszewski] broke the formula [with Marriage]," Bean explained. "And this pedestrianised way of looking at drama – there’s going to be a beginning, a middle and an end, there’s going to be some stakes, a bit of action, there's going to be this and that – is so boring.

"I’m so bored of watching a lot of programmes these days, especially about detectives. I don’t like people who have always stuck with that, watching stories about police detectives, because all the characters end up repeating themselves, and telling the next guy what just happened. And I hate reading detective novels as well."

Walker, who played DCI Cassie Stuart in Unforgotten for four seasons, was also at the Q&A, and laughed alongside Bean, who added: "It’s the same old kind of structure. And when I watched this [Marriage] I was quite shocked, that pattern. I thought, ‘Yeah, that’s right, it doesn’t necessarily follow on in life. You might be alright one day and you might be a right miserable t**t the next if you don't know what's happened in those 24 hours in between.

"This drama just dips in at a moment in time, in two or three weeks in these people's lives. You could drop in another time, in another three years, or another 14 years, and you'd probably have a totally different story...I just hope people don't get comfortable watching [Marriage]."

Marriage continues airing on BBC One on Sunday 21st August at 9pm. All four episodes are available on BBC iPlayer.
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/sean-bean-bored-detective-dramas-newsupdate/

Sean Bean defends new BBC show Marriage and slams 'boring' police dramas in joint interview with co-star Nicola Walker... who famously starred as a detective in ITV hit Unforgotten
Sean Bean made an awkward faux pas as he did his best to defend his new BBC drama Marriage, which has been met with a very mixed reaction.

The actor was appearing in a joint interview with his Marriage co-star Nicola Walker, when he slammed 'boring' police dramas, despite one of Nicola's most famous role being in ITV detective smash hit Unforgotten.

The Mirror report that while speaking in a recent Q&A with Nicola and director Stefan Golaszewski, Sean was keen to point out that Marriage is a departure from a lot of dramas currently on screen.

'I am bored of watching a lot of programmes these days, especially about detectives,' he said,

'I don't know why people always making a story about detectives and police. They are so boring. I hate reading detective novels too.'

Sean added: 'Almost all the characters end up repeating themselves and telling the next guy what just happened. It is just the same old kind of structure.'

But Nicola, who played DCI Cassie Stewart in Unforgotten. appeared to see the funny side as she was seen laughing and mouthing 'it's me' during her co-star's critique. 

BBC One drama Marriage has received rave reviews from critics - but as the first episode aired this week, viewers were not so sure.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11123443/Sean-Bean-defends-new-BBC-Marriage-slams-boring-police-dramas.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 07:42:55 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2022, 03:36:31 AM »
Marriage  Episode 3   Today  21:00 BBC ONE
Emma attends the conference with Jamie. Ian waits at home and wonders what she’s up to. Jessica meets a new friend who could be something more. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0cpndz6

TV Tonight: our highlights for Sunday, August 21, 2022

Tension, betrayal and violence feel right at home as Sean Bean and Nicola Walker’s marriage comes to a climactic end with a finale spread over two episodes. Tonight, Ian worries when Emma steps out in her favorite red jacket for a late-night conference with her predatory boss, Jamie. Ian’s attempts to keep busy, buying shower gel and killing ants, fail and he heads to the hotel that night… Emma, ​​meanwhile, is in Jamie’s room after a hard day of networking. Explosive showdowns follow, made all the more shocking by all the groundwork put into this relationship drama. Final episode tomorrow.
https://gaamagazine.com/tv-tonight-our-highlights-for-sunday-august-21-2022/

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:23:34 PM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2022, 01:16:46 AM »
Marriage  Episode 4  Today 21:00 BBC ONE

Jessica moves home, and Ian gets to spend some time with her. Jamie receives an unexpected visitor. Emma decides to tell him and her father some truths.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0cpndzq

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2022, 12:32:44 AM »
Our little scene from the excellent BBC series #Marriage got cut. Working on the other side I completely understand and know why these decisions are made in the best interests of the show. Also I had a brilliant day filming this with lovely people
@ChrisPizzey

https://twitter.com/gbbrierley/status/1561984635290124288

Marriage fans praise 'beautiful' and 'brave' finale
Marriage viewers were impressed with the conclusion of the BBC drama and have enjoyed the rollercoaster of emotions!
Marriage came to an end this week and fans are mostly satisfied with the conclusion to the Sean Bean and Nicola Walker-fronted drama, with many praising the performances and overall story.

For the past few weeks, fans have had plenty to say about Marriage including this hilarious complaint and claims people are "missing the point", but the finale has seen an outpouring of praise from TV fans.

Stefan Golaszewski's latest BBC series follows Emma and Ian, a couple who have been married for 27 years, and documents all the ups and downs that come from a long-term partnership including parenting, job stresses, intimacy, and more, with the story feeling raw and relatable for many viewers.

Throughout the course of the four-part series, Emma and Ian have juggled a lot, including the latter coming to terms with his recent redundancy and a difficult job search, while Emma's career seems to be going great. It's a slow-paced drama but fans have loved following the couple's day-to-day lives as they deal with a number of roadblocks.

In the series finale, their daughter Jessica (Chantelle Alle) moves out of the home she shares with her boyfriend Adam, much to Ian and Emma's relief as they really didn't like him. While Ian helps pack up her stuff, Adam attempts to make small talk by berating women, and Ian tells him to "grow up", finally getting to tell him exactly what he thinks of him.

Meanwhile, Ian opens up to Jessica about adopting her and shows her the letter he wrote to her as a baby, finally having a conversation it's clear they've never had before. As well as this, truths are revealed about the couple's deceased son Nicholas, and the episode is filled with bittersweet moments.

Because of the emotional rollercoaster and a conclusion which unites the family, seeing Jessica back with her parents, fans have taken to Twitter to have their say on the ending with many calling it "beautiful".

It's not yet known if Marriage will return for a second season, as things seem to have been wrapped up quite nicely for viewers who have followed Ian and Emma on their everyday journey. But if that changes, we'll let you know!

Watch Marriage online now via BBC iPlayer. 
https://www.whattowatch.com/news/marriage-fans-praise-beautiful-and-brave-finale

Marriage Season 1 Episode 1 Recap
https://reelmockery.com/marriage-season-1-episode-1-recap/

Marriage Season 1 Episode 2 Recap
https://reelmockery.com/marriage-season-1-episode-2-recap/

Marriage Season 1 Episode 3 Recap
https://reelmockery.com/marriage-season-1-episode-3-recap/

Marriage Season 1 Episode 4 Finale Recap
https://reelmockery.com/marriage-season-1-episode-4-finale-recap/

Marriage ending explained – What happened to Ian and Emma?
Marriage spoilers ahead.
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a40857532/marriage-bbc-ending-explained/

« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 06:41:38 AM by patch »

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2022, 04:17:39 AM »
Aussie fans listen up.
#NicolaWalker #SeanBean #Marriage to premiere on ABC channel next week.
https://twitter.com/BonkersButBrill/status/1563405984420179969

Airdate: Marriage
Acclaimed UK drama starring Sean Bean and Nicola Walker premieres next week on ABC.
Saturday 3rd September at 8.30pm on ABC.
https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/08/airdate-marriage.html

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2022, 08:42:26 AM »
BBC's Marriage: a real relationship drama
The RTS lifts the lid on Stefan Golaszewski’s new series, Marriage, a bittersweet portrait of a couple who tied the knot 27 years ago

There’s nothing quite like an authentic slice-of-life drama to elicit a connection with viewers. Over the course of a well-crafted series that is rooted in realism, the audience is bound to empathise with its uncomfortable truths. Those familiar feelings, familiar failings.

We saw that in Catastrophe, which expertly depicted the ups and downs of a relationship after the gloss has gone. Or Together, which intimately documented a couple having to cope with the mundanity of life during lockdown while also facing a terrifying global pandemic. There are even examples without Sharon Horgan in them – in Normal People, it was the all-too-relatable unspoken tension between young students Marianne and Connell that gripped the nation.

But, so far, no UK series has drawn on what is arguably the most obvious context for realism: an everyday couple, 27 long and eventful years after they first said “I do”.

Marriage, created, written and directed by Stefan Golaszewski, whose credits include the RTS-award winning Mum, and produced by The Forge, aims to change that in the most compelling of ways.

The series follows the subtle interplay over the course of a few days as Ian, played by Sean Bean (twice an RTS acting award winner, for The Accused and Time), is made redundant from his job just as the career of his wife, Emma, played by Nicola Walker (The Split, Unforgotten), gains momentum.

“The format of drama now means that something has to happen at a certain point in each episode every week,” Walker pointed out at a recent RTS event, where she was joined by Golaszewski and Bean.

"A lot of the time, it’s just life lived. I have not seen that on television before."

“When I read these scripts, I thought, ‘here’s Stefan rejecting that pattern and writing about these two people in the most honest way’. Awful things have happened to them in their 27-year marriage. That isn’t where we meet them, but you do see the effect that has realistically in a long-term loving relationship. It’s both difficult and joyful. A lot of the time, it’s just life lived. I have not seen that on television before.”

Bean agreed. “It was like nothing I’d ever read before, and I always like something that’s different. You read a lot of scripts, and some of them are very good scripts, but they don’t have that amount of detail or description or subtlety.”

Given the volume of screen hours dedicated to couples, it seemed strange to Golaszewski that, until now, long-term marriages were only depicted in a heightened way that was out of sync with our experience.

“Often, you find in fiction that marriages are things that people are desperate to get out of, or terribly sad in. People seem to be keen to cheat quite a lot,” he said. “Yet, when you look around, you see all these people just trying their best, and finding things hard and getting things wrong, but acting out of hope rather than malice. I wanted to tell that story.”

You’d never guess it from Walker and Bean’s effortless chemistry on-screen, but Marriage is the first time the pair have worked together. It helped their dynamic, said Walker, that they were given a full week of rehearsals before cameras rolled, “which is unheard of now. I remember doing it when I first started acting, when I was 22, but that has long since become a thing of the past. So, that was incredibly helpful.”

Recalling the rehearsal week, Bean added: “We clicked pretty quickly, and we got to know each other, but we were very focused on our work. It felt natural and we had a wonderful chemistry.”

It was at this point of the process that the characters were fleshed out in full. For example, with Bean’s input, they decided on Ian’s former job. “I never write biographies,” explained Golaszewski. “I’ve often been told in the past to write down what the characters like. I don’t like doing that either, because you meet someone one day and they’ve changed the next because of what’s happened to them in the intervening period. Pinning someone down with some adjectives isn’t very truthful. You end up blocking the actors in as well, because it is they who bring the life to it.”

While perhaps not intended at the time of conception, the relatability of the four-part series to its audience has increased as redundancy becomes a growing threat.

“I guess a lot of people these days are facing that, especially people in their fifties and sixties who are still competent and able-bodied but for some reason, maybe it’s technology, lose their jobs,” said Bean. “You leave Friday night and that’s it, it’s all gone. You have to cope with filling up 24 hours a day and feeling as though you’re getting in the way in the house and getting under the wife’s feet.”

Equally, the work ethic rarely disappears with the work. “Ian goes into the garden a lot, he goes into his shed, starts painting things, hoovering, killing ants, stuff like that. Worthy things that are necessary for a man to do.”

And, as Emma finds work opportunities opening up, “he feels as though he can’t speak to her because she’s always too busy now, and he doesn’t want to spoil that dream for her because he loves her. He’s happy for her but, at the same time, he’s quite jealous.”

For Walker, playing Emma at an important time in her career was another example of the realism involved. “The different personalities we are with different people is brilliantly illustrated with Emma,” she said. “The Emma that we see at work is a completely different woman to the Emma at home and the Emma with her dad. It’s [about] playing a fully rounded individual, because she has lots of different faces.”

"The different personalities we are with different people is brilliantly illustrated with Emma"

Personalities and the interplays between them have already proved to be a strength of Golaszewski’s, as demonstrated in his sitcoms Him & Her (starring Russell Tovey and Sarah Solemani) and Mum, which also won an RTS award for lead actor Lesley Manville. But after their successes, he pressed pause and reconsidered the art of television writing. His conclusion? Dramas today are restricted from showing real-life interactions because of their emphasis on plot and structure.

Instead, Marriage sought to put the truthful relationships between characters at the core of the show, and use plot as a device, rather than the other way around.

Walker highlighted an example in a scene where Ian seems to have made a little headway in his sensitive relationship with daughter Jessica: “There’s a moment when Ian makes a joke, and it’s received really well by his daughter. Normally, in drama, that’s your end point – that the father who’s found it difficult to speak to his daughter cracks a joke, and everything’s better. A great example of what Stefan does [is that] he has Ian say the joke again because the joke has gone well. It’s so painful. I’ve seen members of my family do that at family dinners.”

Marriage shows how a relationship is more than the sum of its parts.

“When I was writing the sitcoms, people seemed to be interested that it was funny one minute and sad the next,” said Golaszewski. “But, if you’re just doing your best to tell the truth, sometimes that will emanate as funny and sometimes it will emanate as sad. Sometimes, it will emanate as something enormous and sometimes as Ian moving Emma’s shoes yet again. Those are the little bits of detritus that our lives are built of.”
https://rts.org.uk/article/bbcs-marriage-real-relationship-drama

https://seanbeanonline.net/forums/index.php?topic=5794.msg126319#msg126319

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2023, 10:54:32 AM »
Sean Bean and Nicola Walker Drama 'Marriage' Will Arrive on PBS Passport This Spring
Though many fans are likely still grieving Nicola Walker's exit from the popular mystery series Unforgotten, the actress hasn't been a stranger on PBS programs in the months since her departure, thanks to her starring role in Annika. Now, she's got another new drama heading our way, and PBS Passport members will get the chance to see it well before it airs.

Four-part series Marriage is described as a romantic drama that explores offers an up-close portrait of a 30-year relationship -- sometimes funny, sometimes moving, and always revealing. Walker stars as Emma opposite recent BAFTA winner Sean Bean (Time) as her husband Ian, who will both be seen dealing with the insecurities, ambiguities, hopes, and fears that are all part of being in an intimate relationship with the same person for many years.

The drama is set to arrive on PBS Passport this Spring, as part of a bevy of new exclusive and early arrivals available to local station members in the coming months. (See also: DI Ray and Before We Die Season 2, which will both stream before they air on linear broadcast.) There's no word on when we might expect to see Marriage on our television screens -- these early binges have had from weeks to months of lead time depending on the property -- but with a cast this high caliber, it's hard to believe this drama won't come to the small screen at some point in the not so distant future. 
https://tellyvisions.org/article/sean-bean-and-nicola-walker-drama-marriage-will-arrive-pbs-passport-spring

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2023, 03:48:41 PM »
Relationship Drama 'Marriage' to Air on PBS Stations This Fall
Though it appears that while Sean Bean (Time) won't be part of World on Fire when the period drama returns for its second season later this year, fans of the BAFTA winner will still be able to catch him on PBS this Fall. He's starring opposite perennial public television favorite Nicola Walker (Annika) in the relationship drama Marriage, which some of you may have seen when it premiered on PBS Passport earlier this year, but which will finally arrive on PBS in October.

Set over a two-week timeframe, the four-part series explores an intimate portrait of a 30-year relationship --- sometimes funny, sometimes moving, and always revealing. It stars Sean Bean (Time) and Nicola Walker (Annika) as central couple Ian and Emma and follows the pair as they negotiate the insecurities, ambiguities, hopes and fears that are all part of being intimately connected to the same person for so many years.

Although PBS Passport members have been able to stream Marriage since May, you might need to do a little extra research to determine when it’ll be premiering in your area, because the answer might depend on where you live. In theory, Marriage is set to debut on October 5, but many PBS stations have established programming blocks or theme nights on Thursdays and will likely shift the program around their schedules accordingly. What I’m saying is, even more so than usual, please check your local listings to find out the broadcast plans in your area. 
https://tellyvisions.org/article/relationship-drama-marriage-air-pbs-stions-fall