News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: At the Theatre  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
At the Theatre
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
I love going to the theatre, one of the reasons I've missed living in London.  At the moment it's a bit of a hassle getting there and back home again as I'm currently living outside London.

Anyway - I have tickets to see Keira Knightley in her new play but not until near the end of it's run in several weeks. I'm not totally sure about her as an actress though.

Some press articles:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-1355324/Keira-Knightley-The-Childrens-Hour-review-Movie-pin-West-End-Stage-Star.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1355401/Keira-Knightley-Elisabeth-Moss-celebrate-press-night-The-Childrens-Hour.html

However, I do know this particular theatre itself quite well because previous to this play, they had Ben Barnes playing there in 'Birdsong' and I do like the very pretty Ben Barnes so I saw it a few times.  So I knew exactly what the best seats were to buy for seeing Keira there.

Normally I try to go to the theatre at least once a month, and just before Ben Barnes, I got to see David Suchet (Poirot) and Zoe Wanamaker in 'All My Sons' which was really good. I've also seen quite a few musicals, opera, Shakespeare plays, etc.

I really wish Sean would go back to the theatre and do something, even though I know the rush for tickets would probably be insane!  Plus, it's selfish as it would be better for him to keep concentrating on film I guess.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
Re: At the Theatre
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
I think he'd love to do more theatre, though he does apparently have issues with anxiety.  I'd do something illegal to see him on the stage, though.

As for Keira Knightly?  As far as I'm concerned, she can't act her way out of a wet paper bag.

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:52:38 AM »
Now, now, Lighty.  Keira certainly can act and act quite well, just as long as she's playing Keira Knightly trying to play someone else.  :mutley:  Perhaps she went to the same acting school as Nic Cage?

Izzy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »
Cool Jess....my girlfriend and I going to London in April to see ' Cause Celebre ' at the Old Vic, well and next to do some shopping and enjoying some cocktail *grin*

@ Sable...can you imaginge a movie with Nic and Kira? Earth shattering  :mutley:

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
Earth shattering  - No,  a cure for chronic insomnia  - Yes.

I love the theatre but London is expensive and the OH isn't that keen on musicals - which seem to be the mainstay of the West End these days.   Strangely he has got sort of interested in Shakespeare and we're heading for Stratford later this year to watch a play in the new theatre.   

One place we have been to in London is the Globe - now that is an experience - especially when you're watching a matinee of a Midsummer night's Dream and the police helicopter decides to hover overhead. 

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
I'm off to London over the weekend, but unfortunately I'm stuck with all the little darlings, so no chance to see anything else than Arsenal Stadium for a tour. And I hate football too. Yikes.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
I've been lucky - I enter quite a few competitions for free tickets and I win quite regularly as less people enter those kinds of competitions with a specific location.

Plus, I often find that people sell tickets cheaply last minute on Ebay, so if you can be flexible about dates, then you can pick up some really good bargains.

I won 4 tickets to see the Nutcracker ballet at Christmas with the English National Ballet - we had a VIP box to ourselves and it was really nice - I used one pair and somebody else gave me £200 for the other pair which was also nice!

I saw a few Shakespeare plays last year - one had Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew) in it which was a bit distracting as I kept expecting him to come out with some of his classic TV lines.  I love the Globe too.

I much prefer plays to musicals as well, but I did see 'Wicked' a short while ago and that was pretty good.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
Keira and Nic Cage in a film together?  :steam:

I'm still trying to get over seeing him in  'Con Air' -  'Make a move and the bunny gets it. '

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »
I'd love to go to see a play at The Globe some day. But I'll probably have no such luck. And yes, I would expect nRichard Wilson to say: I don't believe it! all the time too. ROFL.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »
And yes, I would expect nRichard Wilson to say: I don't believe it! all the time too. ROFL.

There was a bit in the play where he was chained up in prison and I kept thinking 'He's going to say it now.... any minute now..'  In fact the whole play was me staring at his character like a rabbit in headlights.

That's a shame you can't get some time off to yourself.  I know it's difficult to organise - I have to run around like a headless chicken trying to sort out all my rescue/foster dogs and pay for dogsitters, etc to come into London - but just having a few hours out now and again to get totally lost in something really helps with the rest of the grind.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
I know, but I will be there on a schooltrip with 45 16 year olds on the rampage. Not a second to myself, I'm afraid.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
Yes, I can see where that would be difficult!   At least with my rescue dogs, give them a run in the fields, a knucklebone to chew, and a fluffy toy rabbit to play with and they'll be happily left for a good few hours.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
Some of my students are happy with those as well ......

ladyblue

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 03:50:17 AM »
Yes, I can see where that would be difficult!   At least with my rescue dogs, give them a run in the fields, a knucklebone to chew, and a fluffy toy rabbit to play with and they'll be happily left for a good few hours.

Oh, THAT would be a sight! LOL

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »
Somebody has given me a free ticket to see 'Woman in Black' - I saw this years ago, but it's been so long I've forgotten everything about it.

I've just decided that I'm going to get Prince2 certified (not necessary for my job, but would look good on my CV) so my free time for theatre visits over the next couple of months is likely to be restricted.  The official manual, RRP £75, looks incredibly dull.  Sigh.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »
when I saw in London "The Lord of the Ring" it was 120,00 pounds, sorry, I'm from spain, and pounds aren't in my computer, but wonderful, in fact, I wanted to saw it and I did, I went to London to see the musical, watch "Guys and Dolls", about 80,00 pounds, I don't remember, it was five years ago, and last september "The lion king", in Broadway, 120,00 $, I also went to see "Mamma Mía", and also, 120,00 $, I was very happy see both

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
Maybe I am a stick in the mud, but our cable company offers most films that are at the movies on demand so I stay home and watch them here.  As to the real theatre, I don't get to New York or any other big city often so I don't see much.  I love my Colorado mountains but it does have it's down side too. :bart

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
Galamb, next time you go to London, don't buy your musical tickets in advance. Go to one of the tickets booths on Leicester Square and you can get last minute tickets at very low prices. The last time I did it, the tickets were only about 30 GBPs.

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 06:48:35 AM »
thanks, bluejay, I know it, in fact, I do it every time I go to london, I buy the tickets just in leicester square, as you all know, I like a lot this place, and not because Odeon Cinema is there, it's because Notre Dame de France, a catholich church is there, in fact, Notre Dame de France is a french school, it's France,, there I bought my tickets to watch "All about my mother"