News: Please refresh your browser on every visit as modifications are implemented relevant to the recent upgrade.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Floatation Tank  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
Floatation Tank
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Yesterday I went to one of those floatation centres and spent an hour floating in a floatation tank.

It was such a weird experience - you float in warm salted water in a capsule, and to achieve ultimate relaxation you shut the door of the capsule (it lowers into place at the touch of a button) and then you switch off the light so you're in pitch blackness. You have control of the buttons and there's an alarm button inside the tank.

It was very weird!  I should mention that I suffer from claustrophobia, a very vivid imagination and my biggest nightmare is the idea of being trapped in a coffin whilst still alive.  So pressing that button and seeing the door lower down on me, and then looking around and feeling myself being shut in this enclosed capsule a little bigger than a coffin did bring on feelings of panic....

Finally I managed to get to a point where I switched off the light and then I was lying in total darkness.  I couldn't see anything - it was totally dark.  Then I had a panic when I lost where the buttons were and for a few moments I felt totally trapped as I couldn't find the buttons to open the hatch door or turn the light on. Once I located the buttons it was ok  because the light came on and the door slowly lifted up. Eventually I managed to get to a point where I could shut the door and lie in the dark for 20 minutes and relax but it was a very weird experience!  I wondered if anybody else had done this and how they found it?

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Re: Floatation Tank
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:26:45 AM »
I've never done this, but it doesn't sound very relaxing to me!

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:41:35 AM »
Were you actually in water inside of a tank or were you in a tank that was floating in water?

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:38:13 AM »
It's a tank with water in it.

Here's some info I found:

Floating, floatation, float therapy...whatever you choose to call it, it is quite simply the most incredible means of stress relief and relaxation available. We will go into further detail on this page, but essentially the tank contains 10 inches of super-saturated salt solution, creating an environment similar to the Dead Sea which enables the individual to float effortlessly on the surface. The water is heated to skin temperature (93.5 degrees) so that once settled, it is virtually impossible to distinguish between parts of the body that are in contact with the water, and those that aren't, in effect "fooling" the brain into believing that the person is floating in mid-air.

Unless you are an astronaut, this is the only situation you will encounter where your body is completely free from the harmful forces of gravity...every single muscle in the body is allowed to totally relax. With ear plugs in and, if you wish, the tank's interior lights off, the quietness and the darkness allow the mind to drift into the deepest state of relaxation possible. The buoyancy created by the dense Epsom-salt solution effectively removes the effects of gravity on the body, and brings the individual close to an experience of total weightlessness. A massive amount of brain-power is used every second in order to deal with the huge strain that gravity places on one's body. As the body is now totally supported, there is little for the brain to do and every muscle is allowed to totally relax.

With no commands needing to be sent out, the logical side of the brain is rendered redundant, and its activity slows down until it synchronises with the creative side. This leaves the individual in a dream-like state, akin to the thoughts experienced just before you go to sleep. In this state, the brain releases vast amounts of endorphins.

While the state of relaxation may be deep and profound, the individual's brain stays dreamily alert. To get technical, the brain gradually shifts from its usual "alpha" state to generate theta waves, the state-of-mind that Buddhist monks try to reach through hours of meditation and years of training. You can achieve this in a matter of minutes just by lying down! Best of all, the effects of floatation are cumulative - the more regularly you float, the better it gets.

The Float Session
Each tank is situated in a lockable private room and changing area, equipped with an invigorating power shower for use before and after the session. There is a light inside the tank for beginners, or for those who may not feel secure in the dark although we have found that almost all users (even those who previously claimed to be claustrophobic) are floating with the light off within three sessions. As with the internal light, the door to the tank is fully controllable from within, allowing the individual to choose whether to float with the door open or closed.

After a quick shower, the individual enters the tank and ambient music is played for the first ten minutes. 50 minutes of golden silence follows, and as the session draws to a close, the music is played again to make the user aware that they should leave the tank.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »
I should add that if any of the water gets in your eyes it stings like crazy so there's a little spray bottle of water inside the tank to spray into your eyes if any of the salt water gets in them.

Offline Blue Jay

• The High Priestess
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
I would never be able to relax, because I would be constantly afraid the door wouldn't open for some reason.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
I was wondering if it was just me and my contrary brain!  My Mum gave me the nickname 'Contrary Mary' when I was a little girl because I 'always have to be odd about everything'.

There I was trying to achieve this Zen-like state of calm and relaxation which comes from the floating and my mind kept going  'You're going to massively freak out if the door won't open'....'I wonder how many people have actually been buried alive in their coffins, imagine how horrific that must be' then... 'If there's a Hell, I wonder if it's specifically tailored to the individual's worst nightmare because being trapped alive for eternity is mine....'  Not really pleasant thoughts!

It was made worse by the fact that when you do push the door release button there's a momentary pause before anything happens when my mind started screaming 'Stuck!'

I didn't pay for this experience as I had a voucher but I don't think I'm going to do it again.  I'm sure it works for some people, and the water is very relaxing but probably not for me.

Offline Sylvene

• Divine L&L
  • Mellor's Mistress
  • Once I was young & hot. Now I'm older and better.
    • Words by Sylvene
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »
I don't think I'd do it! 

Offline beanyfan

• Posh Patrol
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
I think i'd pass on this as well. Brain is very unlikely to switch off with all the possibiliteis going through my mind! Floating on a lilo in a swimming pool under a hot sun -now that's my idea of relaxing flotation!

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
I'm sure that I would panic in a place like that, and would never be able to relax.

Offline Annie

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Sharpeshooter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »

I would hate it.

I did get treated last year (on my birthday) to a voucher for the Bath Spa.  I floated lazily in a big thermal pool downstairs,  sat in bubbling hot water in the roof top pool looking ou ton to the Abbey and sweated it out in a lavender scented steam room. 

My ambition is now to get someone to buy me a more expensive voucher that includes a facial or massage treatment as well. 

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
I'd love to try one of those bubbling mud baths but I haven't found one near me.

Offline Jess

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Rich's Cabin
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »
That reminds me of when I was in Rotorua, New Zealand where they have the bubbling mud and geysers.  I went to the baths which use natural hot water from the thermal springs and it was wonderful.  Then I used thermal mud products which made my skin really soft.

You pay to have a private room outside with your own private bath in the open air, and you lie back in this warm pure water and gaze up at the sky.  Just lovely.

That was after we'd spent the day at the Tamaki Maori village where they educate you on Maori customs and you eat a hangi meal with them. 'The traditional hangi has been steaming under the earth on hot rocks for a number of hours, ready for your arrival.'

http://www.maoriculture.co.nz/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:48:39 PM by Jess »