News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Emmys  (Read 9632 times)

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
Re: Emmys
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »
Well I am disappointed that Sean did not get a nomination.  The nominees for best actor were Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire (HBO), Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights (DirecTV), Michael C. Hall, Dexter (Showtime), Jon Hamm, Mad Men (AMC), Hugh Laurie, House (Fox), Timothy Olyphant, Justified (FX).  I have seen some of these shows and where as some of the acting is good I obviously don't agree with all their choices.  But is is great the GOT got so many nominations.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
No real surprise.  Combining the 'type' of show (fantasy), the Emmy's adoration of American actors, and Sean's very public disdain for things American (and yes, he does come off like that, even if that's not what he means to do - the latest salvo about how he prefers Brits as they are sensible, pragmatic, etc . . . that was probably a slap in the face to a lot of people.  It even put my sensible, pragmatic back up for a moment!) made him a long-shot.

Hugh Laurie pretends to be an American - I suspect a lot of viewers don't even know he's English.

Let's hope Sean gets a Bafta nod - I'm sure he would appreciate it more than an Emmy, anyway!

*unrelated side note - I don't know if you changed the standard font in the posts or I somehow managed to do it on my browser without knowing it, Sable - but I really like it!  Very readable.

Offline skippy101

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Super Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »

*unrelated side note - I don't know if you changed the standard font in the posts or I somehow managed to do it on my browser without knowing it, Sable - but I really like it!  Very readable.

Totally agree - much easier to read.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
I'm also disappointed that Sean wasn't nominated, but like lighty, I'm not that surprised about it.  It is good to see that GoT garnered a large number of nominations.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 01:12:20 AM »

Let's hope Sean gets a Bafta nod - I'm sure he would appreciate it more than an Emmy, anyway!

Emmy Snubs Sean Bean for Eddard Stark Role

http://geekedoutnews.blogspot.com/2011/07/emmy-snubs-sean-bean-for-eddard-stark.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:42:59 AM by patch »

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
 :crap :damnit :crap :damnit :crap :damnit :crap :damnit :crap :damnit :crap :damnit :crap :damnit :crap :damnit :crap

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
OK I have alot more to say about this very stupid decision, but I moved my comments over to the Soapbox. Because I REALLY
NEED TO RANT!!!!

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »
David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
"Game of Thrones"
HBO
Episode: "Baelor"
Highlight: Best line, uttered by Sean Bean's protagonist Eddard Stark, ruler of his kingdom: "I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago."
Why they might win: The medieval fantasy series has already cultivated an impressive fan base among both audiences and critics. Within two days of its premiere, the series was picked up for a second season.
Maybe not: There's a lot of skillful dialogue here, but much of it in a made-up Middle-earth language. Complex and interesting in a geeky fantasy-fiction sort of way, but voters might lean toward a show that more closely resembles the real world we inhabit

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118041205/

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:08 AM »
David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
"Game of Thrones"
HBO
Episode: "Baelor"
Highlight: Best line, uttered by Sean Bean's protagonist Eddard Stark, ruler of his kingdom: "I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago."
Why they might win: The medieval fantasy series has already cultivated an impressive fan base among both audiences and critics. Within two days of its premiere, the series was picked up for a second season.
Maybe not: There's a lot of skillful dialogue here, but much of it in a made-up Middle-earth language. Complex and interesting in a geeky fantasy-fiction sort of way, but voters might lean toward a show that more closely resembles the real world we inhabit

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118041205/

"Made-up Middle-earth language"?  "Geeky fantasy-fiction sort of way"? I assume the writer is referring to the Dothraki segments for the first, but I fail to grasp where the second criticism comes from - aside from the setting in a made-up place, the remainder is all firmly grounded in the most basic (and base) emotions and responses of plain ol' humans.

Still, I suppose the 'voters' (who snubbed Sean for a nod) might well be unable to appreciate anything that isn't handed to them with a Dummy's Guide accompaniment.

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
That's a crazy statement to make about the dialogue.  The made up Middle Earth language (Dothraki) was heard in maybe 1% of the entire series.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 01:03:56 AM »

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 07:01:34 AM »
I forgot to watch the show, but I was happy when I turned on the computer this morning and saw that he had won.

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
Thanks for the links Patch.  I too forgot to watch the emmy's and was glad to see he won.  I love his thank you cam speach.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »
Cast Members Game of Thrones on the red carpet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xsokMrsrww

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
This is great news!!! I'm very happy for him and he totally deserves this award!!!
 :nananana: :thumbsup: :nananana: :thumbsup: :nananana: :thumbsup: :nananana: :thumbsup: :nananana: :thumbsup: :nananana:

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
congrats !!!!