News: Please be patient while modifications are made to the new themes to add in familiar menus and features.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soldiers of Fortune reviews  (Read 6715 times)

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
Soldiers of Fortune reviews
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »

Sean Bean can give weight to anything he's given, and it shows. While his character was so obviously badly written, his performance camouflaged that as a mystery element which made him honestly the most interesting one of the bunch.....

All in all from technical point of view this movie deserves a 2/10, but from the entertainment point of view it's a solid 9/10. And to me all movies are made for entertainment. If you have a few mates with you - grab some beer and watch this movie. Excellent way to spend an evening!.....

This may not be great, but it's not bad.....

This surely isn't the Guns of Navarone, but it was nice and innocent fun

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1678051/reviews?start=0

Offline Sable899

• Goddess Divine
  • Mellor's Mistress
Re: Soldiers of Fortune reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »

Sean Bean can give weight to anything he's given, and it shows. While his character was so obviously badly written, his performance camouflaged that as a mystery element which made him honestly the most interesting one of the bunch.....

All in all from technical point of view this movie deserves a 2/10, but from the entertainment point of view it's a solid 9/10. And to me all movies are made for entertainment. If you have a few mates with you - grab some beer and watch this movie. Excellent way to spend an evening!.....

This may not be great, but it's not bad.....

This surely isn't the Guns of Navarone, but it was nice and innocent fun

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1678051/reviews?start=0

I like that reviewer. He apparently understands that films are supposed to be entertaining, first and foremost.  If I'm going to pay to see a film in a theater it had better damn well be entertaining.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
 If I'm going to pay to see a film in a theater it had better damn well be entertaining.

I probaly never get to see it in the cinema so I preordered the German Blu-ray out August 7.But my son suprised me with a downloaded version wich was gratefully received as I have absolutely no patience.The film was certainly entertaining and Sean made me smile a couple of times!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:19:27 AM by patch »

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »
I'll take your review anytime over the critics.  Thanks.  And what a nice son you have.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »
Given today’s political and social climate, given the callous disregard of those who serve our country with honor and distinction, “Soldiers of Fortune” could not have come at worse time.

http://www.examiner.com/review/movie-review-soldiers-of-fortune-starring-christian-slater-and-sean-bean

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
 :arrrgh1:  Okay the guy doesn't like to be entertained and wrote a bad review.  Maybe he was having a bad day.

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
:arrrgh1:  Okay the guy doesn't like to be entertained and wrote a bad review.  Maybe he was having a bad day.

Umm - yeah.  At least the reviewer is honest about the fact that no movie that has soldiers in it is going to merit approval. 

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
I'm going to see this movie on Sunday. So I can post my review of it in a few day's. However, I think the film is an action comedy
( like Wild Hogs ) and not a serious statement about soldiers or the military. Anyway I just want to see Sean on the big screen!!! :slyfox

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »
I was hoping to see this last night be we had out of town guests drop in.  So I will have to wait a few days till they leave.  My husband really wants to see it but our friends don't.  So I will look forward to your review. 

Offline lighty

• First Acolyte
  • Loki's Lady
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
It is fascinating to me that the other reviews have all mentioned Sean's performance - ranging from very good to the NY Times "good actor who should know better" . . . but Variety, yet again, ignores his performance.  I'm surprised they mentioned he was in the cast.

Do they not realize that when EVERY other critic mentions his performance, it makes them look pretty stupid?

(As far as the film goes - ouch.)

Offline moonflower

• Magna Cum Bean
  • Mellor's Mistress
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
I hope that the majority of the movie going public doesn't put much stock in reviews, because these sure don't make you want to plunk down your $10, or whatever movies cost these days.  We want to see the movie because of Sean, but I don't know what would motivate the general public.

Offline lasue

• First Acolyte
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
I saw SOF on sunday and it was light hearted fun entertainment. Like Wild Hogs. Sean, Cromwell, and Colm Meaney were the best
actors in this movie ( no surprise ). Sean's character was the most interesting and I LOVED seeing him on the big screen. He gave
Chris S. his lopsided smile after he shot some targets ( very nice ). Bottom line if your a SEAN BEAN FAN you will enjoy it!!! Of
coures I will buy it on DVD so I can SLOW-MOE most of the scenes with our lad in it !!! It just part of my OBSESSION !!!!

:bounce :bounce :bounce

Offline najinboulder

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Kyle's Kitten
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Ihope to see it soon.

Offline patch

• News Hound
  • Ulric's Lady
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:40 AM »
Damn straight Sean Bean already knows how to fire a rifle! One expects the Game of Thrones alum to be the angry army guy – he did that, in fact, in Age of Heroes the year prior – but Bean looks great as a suave jet setter with big toys and lots of babes. Dimidov has badass history, international playboy clout, zing, and an insistence for his own room, “Helen and I will take the dining room…” Yes, I am Bean biased.  I totally admit he was my reason for seeing Soldiers of Fortune, and I’ve seriously enjoyed some of his recent, smaller independent material. However, it’s more bemusing to watch him play paintball target practice with a cigar firmly between his teeth than watch Slater try and teach anybody to play soldier. There are some sloppy hints that Dimidov is suspicious and greedy, but it’s another wasted opportunity to not let Sean Bean have a full on good time with his badass image.

http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.nl/2013/07/soldiers-of-fortune-2012.html

Offline galamb

• Frisk-eh's Playhouse
  • Vronsky's Vixen
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »
I saw that movie in tv

Harmony2012

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
I still have not finished.  One of the kids, Calli, finds it amusing that I have several movies that I haven't watched yet.  She is only 13 so I am not comfortable watching rated R movies with her or her brother, who is 8 1/2 in the room.  Yes, they are Sean's movies: Cleanskin, Black Death.  however, i will be introducing them to Black Beauty as we have that one as well!!!!  yes, they need to know who SB is!!!!!!